Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

guys, consider the marketing appeal of HD though. Regardless of their bike sales, they could keep afloat on their merchandising alone. The amount of HD gear as opposed to honda or suzuki (etc) stuff out there has to be 10 to 1, and its all as overpriced as their bikes.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

You need to sell a lot of t-shirts to make up for a defaulted loan on a $20,000 bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
guys, consider the marketing appeal of HD though. Regardless of their bike sales, they could keep afloat on their merchandising alone. The amount of HD gear as opposed to honda or suzuki (etc) stuff out there has to be 10 to 1, and its all as overpriced as their bikes.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

hahaha, you guys make me laugh. I used to hear people bitch about HD riders attitudes, but you guys are far worse. Just cant get over the fact that someone might have a harley because they *GASP* ENJOY IT!

No, cant be possible, right? You gotta be cramped up so bad it hurts on a bike barely big enough for a 15 year old girl, with 150hp to be cool?

The HD guys who hate sportbikes are idiots. But so are you sportbikers who hate Harleys. For some its an image, and its there choice, others just love their harleys.

It doesn't have to be the most technologicly advanced to enjoy, you guys do know that right?

You also know, that while my bike may be overpriced new, that in 10 years, when your bike is worth 1500$ cdn, i'll still be able to sell mine for enough to buy the latest, greatest sportbike, and still have cash left over?

If you care what other people ride, you need to spend more time riding, and less time judging.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
hahaha, you guys make me laugh. I used to hear people bitch about HD riders attitudes, but you guys are far worse. Just cant get over the fact that someone might have a harley because they *GASP* ENJOY IT!

No, cant be possible, right? You gotta be cramped up so bad it hurts on a bike barely big enough for a 15 year old girl, with 150hp to be cool?

The HD guys who hate sportbikes are idiots. But so are you sportbikers who hate Harleys. For some its an image, and its there choice, others just love their harleys.

It doesn't have to be the most technologicly advanced to enjoy, you guys do know that right?

You also know, that while my bike may be overpriced new, that in 10 years, when your bike is worth 1500$ cdn, i'll still be able to sell mine for enough to buy the latest, greatest sportbike, and still have cash left over?

If you care what other people ride, you need to spend more time riding, and less time judging.
I don't hate harley riders. I hate harley. I hope they choke on a bag of aids dicks.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I don't hate harley riders. I hate harley. I hope they choke on a bag of aids dicks.
Because they dropped buell?

I can see your point in one way. But if the ships sinking, and throwing off some extra weight will keep you afloat long enough to get to shore, what can you do?

Facts are facts, HD is on its way to tits up. You throw out the bathwater, not the baby. If buell was the moneymaker, im positive they'd still proudly be in HD showrooms.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Apoc, your post made me think. Why do people spend $15-20k on an HD when AFAIK there are equivalent Japanese cruisers for half the price? Is it just brand snobbery or are the Japanese bikes really not equivalent? That's my problem with HD: they sell a little too much sizzle, not enough steak.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Apoc, your post made me think. Why do people spend $15-20k on an HD when AFAIK there are equivalent Japanese cruisers for half the price? Is it just brand snobbery or are the Japanese bikes really not equivalent? That's my problem with HD: they sell a little too much sizzle, not enough steak.
Like I said though, the HD has resale. I can pick up a 10 year old cruiser from 'insert japanese brand here' for 2k. Try and find a fatboy for that?

Are you paying a ton extra for a name and badges. Hell yes, i'd be a liar if I denied it. But, the resale on my harley when its 10 years old, will be the same price range as your average Jap cruiser is new.

So your paying more, but in the end, when you get rid of it, it probably costed you a lot less (not counting the ridiculous accessories people spend $$$$$$$$ on) in total fees, and return.

And, I know people will argue. But I have ridden friends cruisers. Hondas, kawi's, yamaha's, and they've all ridden my HD. And almost everytime someone tries my HD for the first time, they say something along the lines of 'Now I understand'..

And the HD dripping oil on the dealer floor thing, thats a thing of the past. Though HD haters like to push it as fact.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Because they dropped buell?

I can see your point in one way. But if the ships sinking, and throwing off some extra weight will keep you afloat long enough to get to shore, what can you do?

Facts are facts, HD is on its way to tits up. You throw out the bathwater, not the baby. If buell was the moneymaker, im positive they'd still proudly be in HD showrooms.
Buell was actively making money. And now Harley won't sell them. And now some dealers are selling Hyosung bikes and Harley is letting it happen. And before they shut them down, no dealer was forced to carry Buell. It was optional.

They make that many piss poor decisions on top of financing a bike to anybody with a pulse and alienate a lot of people by shutting down Buell and they've pretty much made their own bed.

Harley
Old 12-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Harley makes a good bike. Just as good or better than any Japanese bike I've ridden.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Buell was actively making money. And now Harley won't sell them. And now some dealers are selling Hyosung bikes and Harley is letting it happen.
This I honestly did not know.

I thought they dropped buell because it was causing massive debt.