Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I'll respond here too (responded on facebook too )

I personally would go with the 06 (even though I love my 03) because, as stated above, a lot of aftermarket goodies only fit on the 04 and up models. The 03 was really a generation of it's own and sometimes it's tough finding things that will fit.

I'd also be wary of that few miles on the SV - depending on how it was stored, you could be looking at a lot of dry rot (rubber bits and such) and brake line issues (moisture in the lines).

Just my .02

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Count me in for the '06.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'll respond here too (responded on facebook too )

I personally would go with the 06 (even though I love my 03) because, as stated above, a lot of aftermarket goodies only fit on the 04 and up models. The 03 was really a generation of it's own and sometimes it's tough finding things that will fit.

I'd also be wary of that few miles on the SV - depending on how it was stored, you could be looking at a lot of dry rot (rubber bits and such) and brake line issues (moisture in the lines).

Just my .02
I was thinking about the parts too. Funny thing is I already have an extra seat for the 03 that I was going to send to Sargent to get refoamed. So if I get the 06, I have to look for another seat.

The 03 is stored outside (Logically, I would hope under a bike cover or some shade...) as my friend doesn't have a garage.

Girly question-- what do you think of the 06 color?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Don't ask me - I only like the copper which is why I have the 03

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'd pass on the 03. I don't like the silver frame and some stuff was changed considerably in 04 which means that some aftermarket parts are 04+ only.
I don't understand how an 03 is different from an 04.

There was a major design change in 03 (they became fuel injected and got an all-new frame with straight edges). But after that, they all looked the same after that. I stopped paying attention to them though, so I don't know the details.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Did you have to do anything major to your SV other than basic maintenance?
Nope

However, after about 18K mine developed a rough vibration at 5K rpm, under hard accel. It vibrated the whole bike. Tried doing valve adj, carb syncs, new chains/sprockets.......Never improved, so I just lived with it. But it was irritating. Might have been an imbalanced clutch basket.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Ok I this may sound ridiculous but the 06 guy posted his bike with no year or miles...and his selling point was that it had a K&N filter...that adds to my wariness
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Ask for maintenance records on the 06. Anyone with some sense would keep something...I would think.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I don't understand how an 03 is different from an 04.

There was a major design change in 03 (they became fuel injected and got an all-new frame with straight edges). But after that, they all looked the same after that. I stopped paying attention to them though, so I don't know the details.
For 2004, Suzuki lowered the subframe by 40 mm and made the seat more narrow; the rearsets were also higher on the 03 and the rear angled up more compared to the 04+. In addition, the 03 shared the same radiator as the first gen SV.

There are also some length differences between the 03 and the 04+ (the 03 SVN was 2125 mm (83.7 inches) long while the 04-06 was shorter at 2080 mm (81.9 inches).

If I recall correctly, ground clearance was also reduced from 155 mm in 03 to 150 mm for 04-06 (though it remained at 155 mm on the S models).

It may not seem like a lot but a lot of the most common upgrades (like the seat and rearsets for example) are not interchangable from the 03 to the 04+.

Oh, and the frames were silver up until 05.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #20
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Nope

However, after about 18K mine developed a rough vibration at 5K rpm, under hard accel. It vibrated the whole bike. Tried doing valve adj, carb syncs, new chains/sprockets.......Never improved, so I just lived with it. But it was irritating. Might have been an imbalanced clutch basket.
You are not helping the 06's cause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Ask for maintenance records on the 06. Anyone with some sense would keep something...I would think.
Unless he maintained it himself