Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
250 2 strokes???
I wish, its a true shame the vee due didn't catch on
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

The gix 600 and 750 are due for an update.

Derf: The nice thing about the 750 is that it really is a 600 that has had the engine punched out 150cc over. The bikes are identical right down to every bolt. The only difference are the cylinder bore and some fuel mapping(and color options of course). It's a better bike than a 600 for both street and track. It's the best of both worlds. 600 handling with liter bike power. Just because it doesn't have a race class, means it's an obsolete bike. For a street going sport bike, a 750 is all I would ever own..... As long as they were still in production.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I will heartily agree. It is the perfect compromise. I wish I had an old ZX7. My 636 would run all over it, but they were excellent fun bikes. That and I drooled over the Muzzy Bikes bac in the Day...

The current 750 may have less displacement but it has as much performance as the first couple generations of R1. And it has better suspension than most ten year old designs...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I dropped by the local Suzuki dealership the other day and they're being told that there's only going to be a "limited number" of new motorcycles imported for the upcoming model year and that for a lot of models like the V-Strom the '09 is still to be considered the "current" model (which is why my most recent attempt to obtain a new one at a decent price fell through).

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

I don't see Kawi updating anything. They had to slash prices just to get rid of the 09s. Until the economy rebounds, I don't expect to see much in the way of updated models
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Derf: The nice thing about the 750 is that it really is a 600 that has had the engine punched out 150cc over. The bikes are identical right down to every bolt. The only difference are the cylinder bore and some fuel mapping(and color options of course). It's a better bike than a 600 for both street and track. It's the best of both worlds. 600 handling with liter bike power. Just because it doesn't have a race class, means it's an obsolete bike. For a street going sport bike, a 750 is all I would ever own..... As long as they were still in production.
Ok i thought it was a different and seperate bike that required a full re-design team and resources to update. The ZX7r was its own bike and needed its own design. It still requires suzuki resources to design build, and test a bored out engine, and I wonder if the profit they make from selling the 750 is worth the extra effort to build a seperate engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I dropped by the local Suzuki dealership the other day and they're being told that there's only going to be a "limited number" of new motorcycles imported for the upcoming model year and that for a lot of models like the V-Strom the '09 is still to be considered the "current" model (which is why my most recent attempt to obtain a new one at a decent price fell through).
Yeh I've been looking at Vstroms too (not seriously) and they are holding their value big time right now, with many of them selling at or near new price, and the new ones at or above full MSRP
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wish, its a true shame the vee due didn't catch on
Bimota couldn't get the fueling right on the direct injection system. A few were converted to carbs and from what I read they worked much better, but they couldn't pass emissions so they weren't street legal. I know there are plated RS250s out there but Bimota didn't want to go the "Race use only" route and was broke anyway.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Bimota couldn't get the fueling right on the direct injection system. A few were converted to carbs and from what I read they worked much better, but they couldn't pass emissions so they weren't street legal. I know there are plated RS250s out there but Bimota didn't want to go the "Race use only" route and was broke anyway.
Yeah, sucks. Cool ass design.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Ok i thought it was a different and seperate bike that required a full re-design team and resources to update. The ZX7r was its own bike and needed its own design. It still requires suzuki resources to design build, and test a bored out engine, and I wonder if the profit they make from selling the 750 is worth the extra effort to build a seperate engine.

Considering the 750 is generally about $1000 more than a 600, I would assume they recoup there engine R&D on the 750 pretty quickly given the number of units they sell. I'm guessing by the time they sell 5000 units they are making a profit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Supposed to be a seriously reworked zx10 this year. I seriously doubt the 750 will get a major overhaul
what happened to all this talk about the other three brands comming out w/ a comparable mid/heavy size bike to compete w/ the 750? why will nobody touch this market?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote