Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt
Default 250 is the new 1000, the 2011 cbr250r.

fuel injected, liquid cooled, single with optional abs.

After almost 20 years of being absent in the USA 250cc sportbike market, American Honda is coming back with the aggressively styled liquid-cooled CBR250R and CBR250R ABS. Although pricing hasn’t been released, there are plenty of details that may make Kawasaki — makers of the outstanding $3999 Ninja 250R — nervous about its USA sales (which have been tremendous).

The new CBR is clearly aimed at the smallest Ninja. The motor is a 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-valve dual-overhead-cam Single, smoothed out and sophisticated with fuel-injection and a counterbalancer. The frame appears to be tubular steel, and the bodywork — love it or hate it — seems heavily influenced by the controversial new VFR1200. Wheels are 17-inchers, shod with radial tires (the back tire, a 140/70-17, is 10mm wider than the Ninja’s), and braking is handled with a two-piston caliper and 296mm disc in front. ABS is available. Seat height is .4 inches higher than the Ninja’s at 30.9 inches, but the seat looks very narrow at the front, negating that difference. Curb weight is a claimed 359 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than the 250R (add 9 pounds for ABS). Tank size is smaller than the Ninja’s 4.8 gallons at 3.4 gallons of dino-milk, but I’m guessing the FI Single might best the parallel-twin Ninja on range thanks to better fuel economy.

The theme in the moto-press for 2011 will be how the two bikes compare. It looks like the Honda will be a more nimble performer (both bikes have monoshock suspension and 37mm forks) thanks to its lighter weight and shorter 53.9-inch wheelbase. However, the motor could fall short in performance — it’s not the zesty, big-power mill out of the CRF250R motocrosser, but an all-new unit with lower compression and longer stroke, probably tuned for torque and newbie-friendliness. If the Ninja puts around 26 horsepower on the ground, expect the CBR to do somewhat less — although it may best it on torque.

But the main issue will be price. Honda usually prices its products at a slight premium over the competition, which means the base model could be $4500 or more and the ABS-equipped version could be over $5000. But will the sporty styling and Honda nameplate be enough to lure customers away from Kawasaki’s best-selling sportbike? Whatever the results, 2011 will be doubly interesting to small-displacement sportbike fans.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Funny thing is, I love surplus HP in a car (although I find that anything beyond 500 hp is essentially fucking worthless with only RWD), but I actually love small displacement bikes, and getting more out of less on two wheels. Smaller bikes react faster, and are actually more apt to bite you, and in many ways present more of a challenge to ride fast.

I'd probably love to flog the living shit out of that little thing.

The fucking exhaust (and back fender, for that matter) would be in the fucking garbage an hour after it came home, though. Ick.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Cliff notes:
is it coming here for sure?

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.

Last edited by dReWpY; 10-27-2010 at 07:41 PM..
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I don't like the VFR look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I love it... all of it.

But it would never be able to haul my fat ass around.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I like it. Wonder if Kawi will bring it's Euro spec F.I.'d Ninja 250 to the fight? My wife is getting one or the other...So I can abuse it at the track!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I like it. Wonder if Kawi will bring it's Euro spec F.I.'d Ninja 250 to the fight? My wife is getting one or the other...So I can abuse it at the track!
I bet for damn sure for the 2012 year models they will. Unless they want to start losing sales. I saw more and more 250's sitting at dealers at the end of this year.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Yeah, my wife tried on 4 diff colors last week. Decided on the red on black. With one extra cylinder, lower seat height, and easy pickin left over 10's, think I know what we will get.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Funny thing is, I love surplus HP in a car (although I find that anything beyond 500 hp is essentially fucking worthless with only RWD), but I actually love small displacement bikes, and getting more out of less on two wheels. Smaller bikes react faster, and are actually more apt to bite you, and in many ways present more of a challenge to ride fast.

I'd probably love to flog the living shit out of that little thing.

The fucking exhaust (and back fender, for that matter) would be in the fucking garbage an hour after it came home, though. Ick.
i'll agree on the fun factor of little bikes. i must admit im a bit underwhelmed by this effort though, a farmed out single isin't going to be quite as interesting as the lilliputian fours of the 250 hurricane or RR.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I'd like to see the return of the 400 class. Those would be fun little bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote