Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I used to race pocketbikes. Fast ones. Real ones...from Italy.

I used to crack up when even experienced racers of bigger bikes would get their fucking clocks cleaned. Trip can probably chime in here, because he races fiddys.

It's kinda like what you get when you balance a broom on your hand...you can do that, right? Now try a pencil. No go. Too fast to follow.

Shorter level moves away from center of balance far too fast.

Same with smaller bikes. Far faster reacting.

Same lever, only inverted. Shorter lever, faster reaction.
The same would be true of a little bike racer who tried to jump into 600+. They'd get their clocks cleaned as well. For the first few races at least.

Personally I find larger cars & bikes to be more difficult, simply because of the weight & size. Try driving a Dodge Challenger as fast as you would drive an Elise or Miata down a very tight mountain road. You wouldn't, because the Dodge is much bigger and heavier, therefore making it much harder to read the steering & tires to predict when it's going to break traction. Not to mention you can't even see the boundaries of the road, because of how big that car is. Insecurity forces even the best drivers to slow down.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-28-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Like a baby VFR

L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

These bikes are for beginners to feel confident on but arent meant to be ridden at the absolute limits where the lightweight makes for instability or abrupt manners. So really the whole big vs small thing is a mute point. Styling, seat hieght, play more of a role.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

I think it's cool, but it will be underpowered and, in typical Honda fashion, overpriced. If I wanted a 250, I'd definitely be going Ninja.

That said, the 400 class really is where it's at. I got a lot of seat time on 400s when I lived in Japan, and they are an absolute blast. Trouble is, the pricing on a 400 is damn near the same as a 600, so they really wouldn't sell well in the US.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I used to race pocketbikes. Fast ones. Real ones...from Italy.

I used to crack up when even experienced racers of bigger bikes would get their fucking clocks cleaned. Trip can probably chime in here, because he races fiddys.

It's kinda like what you get when you balance a broom on your hand...you can do that, right? Now try a pencil. No go. Too fast to follow.

Shorter level moves away from center of balance far too fast.

Same with smaller bikes. Far faster reacting.

Same lever, only inverted. Shorter lever, faster reaction.
Yeah, it's hard to describe how out of control a small machine is. If I ride the GS for awhile and not ride the fiddy for a few months, when I get on the fiddy I scare the ever living shit out of myself just by how quick it reacts and how unstable it is.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yeah, it's hard to describe how out of control a small machine is. If I ride the GS for awhile and not ride the fiddy for a few months, when I get on the fiddy I scare the ever living shit out of myself just by how quick it reacts and how unstable it is.
Definitely takes some getting used to going between the mini and fullsize stuff. I do it almost monthly, and I have more pucker moments on the small stuff by far.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #27
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
I'd like to see the return of the 400 class. Those would be fun little bikes.
I agree, and I think it'd be neat to have something unique rather than another "competitor".

That being said, I understand the 400s actually command a price *premium* over the 600SSs in Japan.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Rossi started on pocketbikes. He still goes back to race them every so often. Hones the skills like a motherfucker.

Once you can dominate the faster reactions of the small bike, the big bike can seemingly do no wrong, as it appears to be moving in slow mo by comparison.

You can then better dominate the big thing because it seems lazy and predictable in contrast. Small bike is a great learning tool. Teaches you how to conserve corner speed too.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Perhaps why so many champs start on 125s. Of course then there's Bayliss, never on anything smaller than a 750...I am sure there are example of each.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #30
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

I like this and the VFR's styling.