Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post
i usually wear these under my Sliders jeans.....

and this under my jackets...........

You catching 9 innings after the ride too? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

All of my jackets have armor built in and I never leave home with out one. I have been riding around town in jeans though and would like to pick up some kevlar ones if I can find them for women. I am also looking at some undersuit pants to wear under jeans.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
All of my jackets have armor built in and I never leave home with out one. I have been riding around town in jeans though and would like to pick up some kevlar ones if I can find them for women. I am also looking at some undersuit pants to wear under jeans.
Boy if you were my size, I'd send you some armored underpants! Mine are so hot, you may as well be wearing leather!!! That's why I went to the knee armor set-up I use now.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

That may be a good option as well Tig. I will need to buy some baggier jeans but I just dont like having my knees un protected. I wouldn't mind having some armored shorts and then knee guards. Will have to start shopping around.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
If you get tired of these, try the Icons they have a strap for the knee armor as well and they are ventilated!
yeah, i originally wanted the Icon ones but these were like less than $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
You catching 9 innings after the ride too? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post
yeah, i originally wanted the Icon ones but these were like less than $20.

I've been thinking of picking up a set for myself and one for the wife (especially after her low-speed get off a couple of months back) for riding to bike nights and the like.

I like the Icon stuff, but I can get dirtbike stuff for like 12 bucks. What is the Icon giving me for like 5 times the price?

If anyone wears dirtbike knee armor and/or Icon knee armor, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I've been thinking of picking up a set for myself and one for the wife (especially after her low-speed get off a couple of months back) for riding to bike nights and the like.

I like the Icon stuff, but I can get dirtbike stuff for like 12 bucks. What is the Icon giving me for like 5 times the price?

If anyone wears dirtbike knee armor and/or Icon knee armor, I'd like to hear about it.
Haha "Mr Know it all" to the rescue!!! I have Thor knee armor and it is bulkier and is more of a brace than impact protection. Also, it is my opinion that the materials used are not suited to abrasion resistance. For instance the Fox armor that Jalaan uses doesn't have an upper strap which will make it easier for the guard to rotate on initial impact leaving the knee defenseless. Also, the Fox guards use much thinner plastic and less foam. They are designed for impacts in the dirt at < 50 mph. The Icon and A* guards use a denser material (Delrin, I believe) plus their plates are much, much thicker than the off road stuff with better padding and mounting straps. When the off road stuff was being designed they were not thinking 100'+ slides down the asphalt starting at 100+ mph with a heavy impact to start the show. When I wear my Icon leg armor and A* boots, I feel that I am completely protected from the knee down!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I got the bionic cause i got a great deal on it off of ebay. The main reason i got it was for the back protector. A guy another,forum im part of struck a tree with his body. He had to wear a chest/back brace and just got it off last month.

I was going to get the Icon vest but they dont make a small size.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote