Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default more info on toyota floormat recall

Contrary to previous reports, the death of a four people and the largest recall in Toyota's history was caused by a compound of errors. The initial buzz/word on the virtual street suggested that it was simply an improperly placed floor mat that doomed CHP officer Mark Saylor and three family members when the Lexus ES350 they were traveling in got jammed open at over 100 MPH before crashing and bursting into flames. But it turns out it was more than just a floor mat.

First of all, the floor mat in question didn't belong to the ES350 (actually, the ES350 didn't belong to Officer Saylor -- it was a dealer loaner while his car was being worked on). The mats in the ES350 that crashed were from a RX400h. Not only that, they were those thick, all-weather hard rubber mats. Regardless, because the dealer had placed the wrong mats into the wrong car, there was no way to properly mount them. Also, it seems that the pedal design of the ES350 also played a role. The NHTSA discovered that, "Beyond the main pivot, the lever is not hinged and has no means for relieving forces caused by interferences." We think that means it can easily get stuck.

But that's not all. The NHTSA had also learned from a previous ES350 investigation that, "the Lexus ES braking system loses power-assist when the throttle is fully opened, increasing braking distance fivefold." That's not good. And the brakes had signs of heavy wear and damage, "Rotors were discolored and heated, had very rough surfaces, had substantial deposits of brake pad material, and showed signs of bright orange oxidation on the cooling fins consistent with endured braking."

Additionally, because the Lexus has push button start, the operator must push the button for three seconds before the engine will shut off. A piece of info obviously and sadly not known by Officer Saylor. The San Diego County Sheriff's office is leading the investigation and has not yet released their final report. We'll keep you posted on that, but as they say in plane crashes, looks like the holes in the swiss cheese all lined up.

All contents copyright © 2003-2009, Weblogs, Inc. All rights reserved

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/26/n...oyota-floorma/
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Can't you throw it into neutral when driving?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Can't you throw it into neutral when driving?
Exactly. Its terrible someone lost their life, but fuck. Some of the blame has to go to the driver. I've had old pos cars that the throttle would acutally stick, and I mean stick in that the linkage under the hood would have to be unkinked. Throw it in neutral and let the fucker blow. If the crash was at 100+ mph, then the driver was either driving too fast to begin with, or his reaction time was so slow, the floor mat wasn't truly the cause.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Last I checked, you can take a car out of gear and into neutral while moving for EXACTLY this kind of scenario. I thought this was common fucking logic.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote