Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I can only speak intelligently about the industry I work in, Engineering which this article covers. Not many companies(outside of banking) with highly educated people have shut their doors. There have however been many companies to downsize. Most if not all companies base their layoffs on performance. While they may not admit it, they do, so most engineers that are out of work are out of work because they were in the bottom performing 20%.
Or because the project they were working on was terminated, and their skills were not necessarily transferable to another project?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Thats a tough call. I can see their reasoning since many of the unemployed may not be good at what they do, or may be looking for jobs their either over or underqualified for and may not want to sift through so many applicants to find that good worker like rae mentioned.
In the case where a company shuts it's doors, yeah it's a bad situation. But usually through networking if they are good at what they do, they will get picked up somewhere without having to scan a million job postings. Again if you are good in the engineering industry, you have friends somewhere.

As far as blue collar or retail jobs it's entirely different. But this article was not directed at that sector.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Or because the project they were working on was terminated, and their skills were not necessarily transferable to another project?
Rare instance. Engineering companies align processes and procedures. That's half the battle. A EE(Electrical Engineer) is a EE. Sure experience helps but if a EE is on a project that gets canceled, there is a very high likelihood that he will get picked up on another program within the company as long as he is a proven performer.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
In the case where a company shuts it's doors, yeah it's a bad situation. But usually through networking if they are good at what they do, they will get picked up somewhere without having to scan a million job postings. Again if you are good in the engineering industry, you have friends somewhere.

As far as blue collar or retail jobs it's entirely different. But this article was not directed at that sector.
The job situation in my profession is prety good. I have actualy turned down other job offers because they werent 100% of what I wanted, but fortunatley I am in a position where I can do that.

For the new grads its tough though esp in the ER, many want people with expierence so they wont even look at new grads. Then they look for side gigs and its the same story. We have 2 new PA's in the ER and they heard about my side job and are constantly asking me to get them in. One I would consider in a few years as shes progressing niceley but the other is def a work in progress.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The job situation in my profession is prety good. I have actualy turned down other job offers because they werent 100% of what I wanted, but fortunatley I am in a position where I can do that.

For the new grads its tough though esp in the ER, many want people with expierence so they wont even look at new grads. Then they look for side gigs and its the same story. We have 2 new PA's in the ER and they heard about my side job and are constantly asking me to get them in. One I would consider in a few years as shes progressing niceley but the other is def a work in progress.
I'm not even looking for work and I average 2-3 calls a week plus another 4-5 emails from companies looking. If you are experienced it isn't that hard. New grads, yeah it's very had because you don't have a proven track record.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I have been looking for a better job while employed for almost 6 years know. Banking is not very open to hiring either way. They assume you are willing to make drastic cuts to move from one desk to another or want you to steal clients from your existing bank.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I have been looking for a better job while employed for almost 6 years know. Banking is not very open to hiring either way. They assume you are willing to make drastic cuts to move from one desk to another or want you to steal clients from your existing bank.

Banking is probably the hardest hit sector of the economy so yeah the job market would be teh suck for bankers.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I wish a company could post an honest ad for a position without everyone getting pussyhurt over it. Would you rather they waste your time?
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Are you SERIOUS??!!

I know tons of people who cant find a decent job because their company went under. Through no fault of their own they were left jobless and you really want to say something like that Rider?

Not to mention, with enough work experience you cant even get a job in fast food or a crappy admin job etc because you have "too much" experience.
Having had to go through the resumes of people who were barely qualified for "general labour" but who were applying for highly technical positions, I can understand why they would put that rider in. Smart people, who actually have the required skill-set, would likely still apply.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Sounds pretty fvcked up imho not to consider anyone currently not working BUT PC did just bring up a good point about being swamped by applicants when most may not even be qualified.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote