Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R
Default Problem.

Alright. I've gone to the Buell forums with this...and haven't come up with a solution yet. So I'll throw it out to you guys for a fresh set of ideas.

I'm having a problem with the Buell. Spare me your shitty comments about the manufacturer.

As I stated...last week I got the bike out of winter storage and rode to work two days in a row. The bike fired right up after sitting since November 3rd. It ran great, no issues what so ever. That was Wednesday and Thursday of last week.

Bike sits for two days. It's now Sunday. I get the bike out...hit the starter...it fires and immediately dies. I figure maybe I just didn't hold the starter button long enough. Repeated attempts to re-start fail. It fires and immediately dies. I tried feathering the throttle as I start it. Dies.

So...I replaced the plugs. Still does the same thing. Battery is fully charged. Same thing. Plenty of gas in it...I verified. The tank was filled on November 3rd...with Sta-bil. So it shouldn't be bad.

About the only other thing I can do is drain the fuel...which is not necesarrily easy and put in fresh gas. Then maybe replace the plug wires. After that I'm out of ideas.

Anybody?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Fresh gas. Also check to make sure your air filter isn't clogged with leaves or something. 3 things make a motor run, oxygen, gas and spark. If you have all 3 the it should run.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Right. Air filter is clean as could be. And the there's nothing in the intake. I verified boht of those when I had the air box off to change the rear plug.

What gets me is it ran awesome two days before then all the sudden nothing. Could the gas get shitty that quick like that?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Could have water or dirt in the tank. Drain it and try again. Does your bike have a fuel filter?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Could have water or dirt in the tank. Drain it and try again. Does your bike have a fuel filter?
Maybe...I dont know. I'd say probably.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

If it does change it. If after all that and it still doesn't run, I'd start looking at the magneto. At that point you've eliminated gas and air problems, so the only thing left is spark.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

The wire for the rear cylinder looked somewhat like it had some corrosion on the end that plugs into the coil. So I may replace those anyway.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Fresh fuel would be my first thought. Water will float to the top and you get gas until the level drops...

Possibly something in the tank or lines may have filtered (filter?) thru to the carbs and gotten a needle or float stuck.

When one sits that long anything may be the cause...

I had winterized a yamaha once and had trouble firing it and getting it to run. Turns out mice had collected my dogs food and built a nest in the exhaust. When I finally got it to breathe and fire i held the throttle wide open and shot dog food out shotgun style!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Fresh fuel would be my first thought. Water will float to the top and you get gas until the level drops...

Possibly something in the tank or lines may have filtered (filter?) thru to the carbs and gotten a needle or float stuck.

When one sits that long anything may be the cause...

I had winterized a yamaha once and had trouble firing it and getting it to run. Turns out mice had collected my dogs food and built a nest in the exhaust. When I finally got it to breathe and fire i held the throttle wide open and shot dog food out shotgun style!
I cover the exhaust when I put it away. There's definately nothing in it.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I just thought...The gas is in the frame...Does it have a vent hose that could be plugged or blocked????

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote