Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Default 550 Mile Road Trip - What Gear to Wear?

I'm going to make the trek to Sturgis on my ZX-10R here in a couple of weeks. It's 550 miles, one way. I'm trying to decide what gear to wear on the actual road trip. I have a choice between my Joe Rocket GPX 2-Piece or some combination of the JR jacket (top half of the 2-piece), mesh jacket and Cortech jeans (with leather and CE armor in the impact areas). I'll also have Sidi Vertebra boots, and a big burly pair of Danner boots along with me.

I want to wear the leathers, but I'm concerned about heat & comfort for such a long ride. I have ridden almost half of that in a day in leathers and not had any problems.

I'll have my Camelbak on, so keeping hydrated while sweating it out in leathers won't be a problem.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

meshy and jeans, either enforced or regular, just play nice with the speed limits and all will be good.

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
t-homo
WSB Champion

What is everyone planning on wearing to Indy? I don't really want to wear full leathers. Most (like 95%) of the riding will be highway, so wont be riding hard. Think jeans, riding boots, textile, and gloves is fine?
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

I'd wear the jacket, the jeans, and whichever boots are more comfortable on the bike. Of course, if the pants are really broken in, they might be even more comfortable than the cortech jeans. Long as you're moving, it's the same temp either way.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Now that you mention that, I do think the leather pants are a bit more comfortable than the jeans. The armor in the jeans kind of chafes.

I'll definitely be in leathers for the daily Black Hills rides.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

On the trips I have started taking I wear my street leathers, not my track leathers and I find it more comfortable and less wearing on my body than just jeans and my JR street mesh/textile. I wear my riding boots, leather gloves (non gauntlet) and underarmor under my leathers.

At higher speeds your body is going to be more buffeted by wind and you will feel less impact as well as less dehydrating effects wearing leathers, IMO. Not to mention, if your flying down the interstate at 80-90 mph, what would you rather be wearing if a semi tries to run over the top of you, or vacationers run you off the road? I never get overheated, even here in Florida as long as I dont decide to chill out fully geared. Also, a decent form of AC is to wet yourself down before putting the jacket back on, and as you ride, the water evaporates and cools you quicker than just cooling down from the air...

I never wear a backpack, i strap it onto my tail section. I have luggage now so i'll be testing it out soon...but any added stress on your upper body you will start feeling after a few hours and the less pain or discomfort you feel, obviously the longer you can ride and the more enjoyable it will be.

Have fun, take pics!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I'll be wearing my leather pants and jacket... as they're my only gear... I may try to barrow the textile A* pants I gave to my bro... but I think I'll just suffer through with the Leather Teknics... need break'n in anyhow...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I'll be wearing my leather pants and jacket... as they're my only gear... I may try to barrow the textile A* pants I gave to my bro... but I think I'll just suffer through with the Leather Teknics... need break'n in anyhow...
Another thing is that I don't want to wear my leathers to the track by any means and all I have is a 1-piece. So i would have to squid my way there.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well I'd wear your 1 piece for the trip TO Indy... then between the track and the hotel... wear some jeans... pack a set of shorts... and change... it's what I'd do
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

jeans... its not squidly to wear jeans....
its one thing to say yeah i wear my full kit 100%
but jeans are completly exceptable

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote