Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

When the top news stories are about Cylee Virus and Paris Hilton or whatever, it's no wonder others hate us.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
When the top news stories are about Cylee Virus and Paris Hilton or whatever, it's no wonder others hate us.
truth.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I've heard this sentiment a number of times, but seriously, is the somewhat loosely established preference of our population toward entertainment rather than a poorly defined something else really any kind of valid reason for those "others" to hate us? Even if that premise does hold up as valid, what is that "something else" Americans need to focus on instead that would magically temper the rage of those "others"?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

When has anyone actually needed a 'valid' reason in order to hate?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I've heard this sentiment a number of times, but seriously, is the somewhat loosely established preference of our population toward entertainment rather than a poorly defined something else really any kind of valid reason for those "others" to hate us? Even if that premise does hold up as valid, what is that "something else" Americans need to focus on instead that would magically temper the rage of those "others"?
Something that isn't as materialistic/superficial?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
When has anyone actually needed a 'valid' reason in order to hate?
I'm not picking on Particle Man because as I said I have heard the sentiment elsewhere, but the phrase "it's no wonder others hate us" is to me a validation of the assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Something that isn't as materialistic/superficial?
By whose definition? It seems those who are most vehement about their hate of the "West" would put anything that isn't studying the Koran and plotting the deaths of infidels in the materialistic/superficial category.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
I've heard this sentiment a number of times, but seriously, is the somewhat loosely established preference of our population toward entertainment rather than a poorly defined something else really any kind of valid reason for those "others" to hate us?
Everyone hates a privileged dumb blonde, with a shallow personality (see: "White Chicks").

Quote:
Even if that premise does hold up as valid, what is that "something else" Americans need to focus on instead that would magically temper the rage of those "others"?
Empathy, concern for others, compassion, charity, acceptance, kindness, and friendship (guessing here).
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #28
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Everyone hates a privileged dumb blonde, with a shallow personality (see: "White Chicks").
I have a passive apathy about them, not the active hatred I see from some toward this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Empathy, concern for others, compassion, charity, acceptance, kindness, and friendship (guessing here).
Which nation displays these qualities better than America, especially when compared to those nations who hate America the most? I also don't see these qualities mentioned by or embodied in Muslim extremists as they actively seek to attack America. I think your guess is wrong.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
I have a passive apathy about them, not the active hatred I see from some toward this country.

Which nation displays these qualities better than America, especially when compared to those nations who hate America the most? I also don't see these qualities mentioned by or embodied in Muslim extremists as they actively seek to attack America. I think your guess is wrong.
Agreement
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Maybe it's the fact, in and of itself, that the "something else" IS poorly defined...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote