Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #41
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
This sucks. Fucking terrorists fucking succeeded.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

There are elements of Mad Dog's story that make me think that particular story is bullshit. One is that I just left Bagram* in July and there were no full body scanners there. Maybe they had them installed in the last few months, who knows.

That said, military members do fly back on chartered commercial flights with weapons in hand. Happens all the time.

More pertinent, though, is a recount my team leader gave me of one of his fellow Customs and Border agent's encounter with TSA. CBP agents are allowed to fly with their government issued side arm if they agree to act as a "default" sky marshall for the flight. This particular agent was going through the security checkpoint with his loaded 9 mm handgun and was stopped by the TSA worker because he also had a collapsible baton. Long story short, the CBP agent boarded the plane with a loaded firearm and no collapsible baton.

The TSA is not and has never been a worthwhile or effective organization and should be disbanded immediately.

* There is no "h" in Bagram, that would give it the soft phlegm sound.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
That said, military members do fly back on chartered commercial flights with weapons in hand. Happens all the time.
I have no problem believing that troops carry weapons on chartered flights, seeing as how the definition of "chartered" means it's a private flight that isn't open to the public. But why do people going on what is essentially a private flight need to bother seeing the TSA, as the original story claims? Why can't they work out a system where the troops go directly to/from the hangar where that plane is going to be?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
AGAIN STFU if you have not been in the service and know first hand what the hell you are talking about. I really hate when non service people say shit about what happens in the military, when they CLEARY have no FUCKING clue. Don't argue with some one that has the experience and the ways to prove it. Not all people are cut out to be a service member, and whatever your reason for not joining is up to you, but PLEASE PLEASE don't sully our experiences and our dedication because you don't THINK thats what happens. Its ok, you don't have to know EVERYTHING. You can be wrong or even actually learn something once in a while.
My original reason for posting was that I didn't believe they carried weapons on flights with civilian PASSENGERS. And that turned out to be true. There is a diff. between a civilian FLIGHT and a civilian flight with civilian PASSENGERS. The former is what you guys were talking about -- But I thought you were talking about the latter, which is why I kept questioning it. My apologies.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-10-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But why do people going on what is essentially a private flight need to bother seeing the TSA, as the original story claims? Why can't they work out a system where the troops go directly to/from the hangar where that plane is going to be?
The times I've been on chartered aircraft like that they were flying out of military airbases. We didn't deal with TSA in those cases. While the original story by Mad Dog may or may not be true, I could see circumstances under which troops might board such a chartered flight at a civilian airport, in which case they would deal with TSA. It would be much more likely for a National Guard unit to fly that way, in my mind.

As far as why they couldn't work out a system to skip TSA, I couldn't say if anyone has tried. But I could very easily believe that TSA would resist that kind of move for the sole purpose of maintaining its authority and remaining "relevant."

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #46
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

For the record I believe this story is bullshit, but I've dealt with far more bullshit than this that didn't make sense in the army.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #47
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

it's complete BS.

However, am I the only one that thought maybe she's worth bangin?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #48
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
The times I've been on chartered aircraft like that they were flying out of military airbases. We didn't deal with TSA in those cases. While the original story by Mad Dog may or may not be true, I could see circumstances under which troops might board such a chartered flight at a civilian airport, in which case they would deal with TSA. It would be much more likely for a National Guard unit to fly that way, in my mind.

As far as why they couldn't work out a system to skip TSA, I couldn't say if anyone has tried. But I could very easily believe that TSA would resist that kind of move for the sole purpose of maintaining its authority and remaining "relevant."
It depends on which base they flew out of. Many of the larger bases have mil airports attached to the installation, but other smaller bases don't. I can think of a few bases where NG and USAR troops deploy from that don't have an airport and they instead are bussed to the closest large airport and flown from there.

My personal experience coming and going both ways is that I only dealt with TSA because I choose to. We flew out of a military base where we were checked for stuff, mainly alcohol, ammo, drugs and other "prohibited in a combat zone" stuff. At each layover I got off the plane and walked out of the airport to smoke, and walked right back in. Each time I left the airport I had to deal with the TSA when I went back in. Although I dont remember having a ticket and I dont remember it being a problem.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #49
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

The only time I recall having to deal with TSA on either of my deployments was while on R&R... and on those trips we left our weapons in theater (locked up with the unit armor). On our trips as a whole unit to and from theater... the only places en route where we deplaned were Bangor, ME, Ireland, and Germany, and in all of those instances we were given boarding passes and kept in "secure" areas (I say "secure" because in Maine, the smoking area happened to be outside, and you could walk across the road to the Holiday Inn or whatever hotel it was... but they didn't make us go through security again on the way back in).

All of those three places are regular military stops, though, so I think they 1) know the drill already and 2) are more lenient with military folks anyway.

That being said, however, as others have mentioned, ARNG or Reserve troops such as myself may stop in a civilian airport en route to home base... but typically, we are sent back to whatever base from which we were mobilized - i.e., Fort Hood, Fort Lewis, Fort Bliss, etc. - FIRST, before being demobilized and returned to our homes of record. As soon as you touch ground at the demob platform, you turn in your weapons before you go anywhere else.

So, while this story raises some questions as to its validity, particularly since the author writes it in the sense that this was a routine stop, it could have been that where they landed was not a routine location for military stops. No way of telling for certain at this point.

ETA: Oh yeah, another point: usually when we deplane at civilian airports for a refueling stop... we leave our weapons on the bird with weapon guards. Perhaps another point against the validity of the story? Unless this is just a practice that only certain flight commanders employ?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Archren; 12-13-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I left the weapons on the plane for my trip there, the way back we left them on the plane in europe, but in the US carried them (the weapon itself could not leave the airport, but you could leave it with someone else and walk out on your own