Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default touring gear thoughts?

I'm looking at buying some textile touring gear, so far I'm really down to a few choices that are in my price range (roughly $300 for a suit). I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of a 1 pc vs 2 pc suit.

Any thoughts or ideas on one vs the other?

1pc:

http://www.newenough.com/street/suit...ycle_suit.html

2pc:

http://www.newenough.com/street/jack...le_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/pant...overpants.html

Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I like Tourmaster gears.

I still can't decide which is more convenient, 1-pc or 2-pc for touring.

It's easier to take a shit when in 2-pc set. Just drop pants & go.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I really like First Gear's stuff... after talking a long time to the owner of Dual Sport Touring (the place we stopped on the ride down to the rally this year) Franswa (sp?) he showed me how well the BMW, Rev'it, and First gear stuff are made.

I think I'm gonna buy the Rev'it Sand jacket and pants this winter. that or the Canyon Pro. There were little things about the first gear stuff that could have been done better when it came to continence... but quality IMO is top notch. (chest vent gets held shut by the wind for example)

I personally would go with a 2 piece... you'll get more wear out of it... and it'll be more adaptable to larger temperature ranges, after all, you can always remove the pants and wear jeans when riding ( I usually wear knee and shin protection under my jeans though)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

francois
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

I've had good luck with Tourmaster, I have a jacket that is around 20 years old that is still serviceable (though not pretty) I have friends who swear by Firstgear...
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

I really like the bmw and revit stuff, but I cant see spending that much on gear, just too expensive. The 1pc has some cool features that the jacket doesn't, like the built in balaclava, and the high neck guard, but it cant be worn as just a jacket. They both get almost all positive reviews, much better than similarly priced competitors
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've used the Joe Rocket Alter Ego stuff for the past few seasons and have been very happy with it. YMMV.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I love my BMW gear, it just sucks in hot weather. I need to get a better summer suit. It's finally getting cool enough to wear it again. It's unthinkable in summmer to wear it.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

One of the things I'm looking for is its cold weather riding abilities, I really want something warm for the winter. I'm not expecting it to be 100% warm, but something that can go out on cold days with the suit, liner, and warm clothes underneath.

I also have no illusion that the 4 season riding gear is there, its either light for spring/summer/fall or heavy for fall/winter/spring. I have enough summer gear,
Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
One of the things I'm looking for is its cold weather riding abilities, I really want something warm for the winter. I'm not expecting it to be 100% warm, but something that can go out on cold days with the suit, liner, and warm clothes underneath.

I also have no illusion that the 4 season riding gear is there, its either light for spring/summer/fall or heavy for fall/winter/spring. I have enough summer gear,
The BMW rallye pro suit fits this to a tee. I have not found the lowest temperature thats comfortable to ride in yet, my boots and gloves give out first. Actually I need to replace the boots because the gloves/moose paw things aren't a weak point anymore. My boots are first now. The gortex/fleece liner is unfuckingbelieveably good. What sucks though is it's also the rain liner. If it rains when it is warmer, I cant go with this liner because it's too damn hot. I keep a spare light rain suit for normal nonriding use in my top case for warmer months that I can slip on underneath the suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!