Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
The R1 10 31.25%
The Busa 17 53.13%
Tater's Whore of an Ex Wife 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

Both bikes are great bikes.
I would consider maintenance fees, gas prices and insurance for both and go from there.
Good luck with your choice.

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Being somewhat self indulgent my first choice would be to get both.
If you are going to be a one bike house hold I would say get Take the Busa. The R1 is a sexy little machine. Now in my case I love my 1 liter sport bike ( a 999) but it is not something I want to ride as a primary bike. The Ergos make traffic annoying (and any of the twins seem to handle low speed traffic better because of the low end torque) I know this group isn’t fond of the Busa’s and I have to question how many have actually spent real saddle time on one. The common rap among the sport bike crowd is they don’t handle well.. This is a myth the simply handle differently and it takes time to learn the machine. What the Hyeprbikes like the Hayabusa and ZX14 give away in the corners they more than take back in the straights. The extra torque at the low end makes move at low speeds easy and comfortable the much maligned weight difference disappears the moment a hyperbike starts to move no need to bring the revs up it pulls away smoothly at 1200 rpms
Will Hyperbike Handle like the R1? never will the R1 ever be as comfortable longer hauls be as easy to handle in traffic or have as may after market options and be as easy to ride 2 up as a Busa never.
As Z06 points out Turbos are available for both bikes. I believe there are currently 2 bolt on kits for the R1 .. there are at least 2 dozen for the Busa.
I am a ‘All Sting no bling” kind of guy but check after cosmetics for both bikes and I think you will find the Busa has far more options
For you R1 and R6 guys and believe me I love both of those bikes.. If we are on a road not filled with switchbacks I will leave you in the dust on my Busa. (but then I am running a Hahn turbo with secondary fuel rail make 257 rwp and 139 Ft LBS of Torque with peak torque at about 6800 rpms and a clean pull thou 1100+ rpms)
All of that, at 50 years old my if I have to pick one it would be the Busa ,, but me I like the sound of Both better.
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen View Post
Maybe I was thinking of the new ones.......the one WAR posted does not look bad.

Either way...my favorite is the R1.
Eh, yeah the tail on the new ones are fugly (I've heard of people buying the new ones, but bolting on the tail section of the previous one since the new tail is .. well rather fugly IMO )

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Busa. If you ever want to go out west and see real twisties, you will be fighting over who gets to ride the Busa. And on my roads, the lunge out of the corner is more important than the maximum corner speed.
True, before we'll be able to do any long distance touring, we'll need to pick up another tourer (hopefully the 1000cc VFR will become a reality by then! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
busa. u already said u'd have a track specific bike, so that aspect shouldnt be considered. touring, commuting, sweepers, resale, price, previous care, its dif (why the hell would you want 2 r1's) busa hands down. deep aftermarket for the busa, and i dont mean 300mm kits. r1, not so much. bigger than it used to be, but not quite busa big.

looks wise, i think those years u listed the busa and r1 are the two best lookin bikes made.

id go busa
Yup, kinda my thinking at this point... I mean not that there's anything WRONG with having two R1's though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemmes View Post
Both bikes are great bikes.
I would consider maintenance fees, gas prices and insurance for both and go from there.
Good luck with your choice.
Yeah actually insurance is one thing we have yet to check on... need to do that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Being somewhat self indulgent my first choice would be to get both.

If you are going to be a one bike house hold I would say get Take the Busa. The R1 is a sexy little machine.
Hahahaha... I WISH we could get both.

But no, we're not going to be a 1-bike household. Chris already has HIS R1, so no matter which way we go, we'll still be a 2 or 3 bike household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
I know this group isn’t fond of the Busa’s and I have to question how many have actually spent real saddle time on one.
Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of them really until I rode one for an all day ride (including about an hour of it in heavy rain ). I was actually SURPRISED at the end of the day at how much I enjoyed it, because the reputation is that it's such a pig.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of them really until I rode one for an all day ride (including about an hour of it in heavy rain ). I was actually SURPRISED at the end of the day at how much I enjoyed it, because the reputation is that it's such a pig.
That's the problem with the internet....soooo many people have opinions about things they know nothing about ....("my FRIEND said.....").

SO many bikes get a bad rep becuase of somebody else's prejudices (but ya gotta ask yourself why the 'Busa sells in excess of 10,000 units here in the US every year).

While I understand the emotional component of motorcyles (for God's sake, I ride one of the MOST impractical bikes ever built....but I LOVE how it looks and feels) you've got to look at how the bike functions for most of the riding you do. ANd if it works for how you ride and feels right, then, by God, buy the thing. At the price you ware getting it, if you find out it doesn't suit, you can turn around and sel it in a minute.

........as a matter of fact, if you decide not to buy it, at the price it's going for I might be tempted to fly down and ride it back up here......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I only read the first and last page... Busa, for the reasons OTB mentioned.

That being said, I'd never buy either bike.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
........as a matter of fact, if you decide not to buy it, at the price it's going for I might be tempted to fly down and ride it back up here......
If we decide against it for some reason, I'll letcha know.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

R1 is still winning, jawesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
By the slightest of margins.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebehottie View Post

Yup, kinda my thinking at this point... I mean not that there's anything WRONG with having two R1's though...

Hahahaha... I WISH we could get both.
u just answered your own question.
technically its his r1 and your busa, but you're married, so you both should be used to gettin jacked for your shit by your spouse