Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Ping Tallywacker

Just wondering what you think of the Hyper 796???

Just left the Ducati dealer here in town. I went to check out the Monster 796, which I really liked. But as I was talking to the dealer, he mentioned I should sit on the Hyper. He has 2 leftover 2010's on sale for $8,795 otd. Which is a hella good deal since the Monster is like $12 otd. I sat on it and it was kinda weird being so tall and skinny, but when I got my feet up on the pegs, it felt nice and comfortable. Of course its good in the twisties, but how is it on long stints or highway runs? Are you kind of a parachute up there being up so tall?

Styling is ok, I kinda like the Monster more. I really need to see if they will let me test them both.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Just left the Ducati dealer here in town. I went to check out the Monster 796, which I really liked. But as I was talking to the dealer, he mentioned I should sit on the Hyper. He has 2 leftover 2010's on sale for $8,795 otd. Which is a hella good deal since the Monster is like $12 otd. I sat on it and it was kinda weird being so tall and skinny, but when I got my feet up on the pegs, it felt nice and comfortable. Of course its good in the twisties, but how is it on long stints or highway runs? Are you kind of a parachute up there being up so tall?

Styling is ok, I kinda like the Monster more. I really need to see if they will let me test them both.
it's probably like a dual sport; the wind beats you up pretty good on long trips. I deal with it though, and still want a hyper.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

My best friend bought a 796 Hyper a few weeks ago, but I haven't been up to see him so I could ride it. I anticipate that I'll be doing so in the next couple of weeks.

I'll be sure to report back after I do. So far, his initial impressions are very favorable.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:

I'm like the bike a lot, I've replace the front sprocket though to fix some low RPM ridability issues. All in all it's a great bike. Remember though it is a tall bike and the lack of any windscreen may deter you as well.

I would buy it again though. Having a lot of fun with it. I hope to own a bunch of different types of bikes in my lifetime and this has been a good one.

The bike definitely gets a lot of attention though where ever I go. That may be a good or bad thing depending on how you like talking to people.

Last edited by tallywacker; 04-29-2012 at 07:08 PM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I'm like the bike a lot, I've replace the front sprocket though to fix some low RPM ridability issues. All in all it's a great bike. Remember though it is a tall bike and the lack of any windscreen may deter you as well.

I would buy it again though. Having a lot of fun with it. I hope to own a bunch of different types of bikes in my lifetime and this has been a good one.

The bike definitely gets a lot of attention though where ever I go. That may be a good or bad thing depending on how you like talking to people.
I didnt even see you responded to this.

I turned my attention away from Duc a bit. I found a gorgeous 96 gen 4 VFR750 real close to me. I was real intent on buying it, but while the bank was waiting to come back on financing, someone apparently didnt know I was waiting and sold it to someone with cold hard cash. I was a little pissed, but I understand money talks...

So now im back to square one again. I really like the hyper, but im worried ill want to do some long distance and get beat the hell up by the wind.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
I didnt even see you responded to this.

I turned my attention away from Duc a bit. I found a gorgeous 96 gen 4 VFR750 real close to me. I was real intent on buying it, but while the bank was waiting to come back on financing, someone apparently didnt know I was waiting and sold it to someone with cold hard cash. I was a little pissed, but I understand money talks...

So now im back to square one again. I really like the hyper, but im worried ill want to do some long distance and get beat the hell up by the wind.
Yeah it's not a long ride bike, I have thought about selling it already because of this
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Yeah it's not a long ride bike, I have thought about selling it already because of this
I want to know how the Monster 796 is on the highway in comparison. You sit more "in" the bike than "on" it.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
I want to know how the Monster 796 is on the highway in comparison. You sit more "in" the bike than "on" it.
There are a lot of people that use the monster for longer rides. Remember though, any kind of bike without a real windscreen is going to through your head around at 70 mph.

Last edited by tallywacker; 05-10-2012 at 10:36 AM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote