Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Stunting (secret supermoto forum)

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Let's be serious too... Insurance rates do nothing based upon numbers of claims... Ask yourself why SUV's have such high insurance rates... It's cause they're popular... nothing more.
Aha! Something I know a little bit about. Insurance rates are based on "actuary(sp) tables". Basically,they take the exact vehicle,the type of person,the area of the country and plug it in to get the rate.

First vehicle info; you're right that popularity plays a role in determining a vehicle's rate index. The more there are,the more claims. They take the number of claims (coll and comp)involving a particular vehicle against the total number of claims. Obviously,if there are more of a vehicle,there'll be more claims. Suvs have a very high incidence of roll overs and are involved in a great number of fender benders. Probably due to distracted parents. Note: when I first got my 'Busa,the ins. rate was approx. half that of a GSXR600 because it was listed as a "sport tourer" and the number of claims were low.

Second personal info; age,driving record,single/married,dependents,credit report,etc. They take these figures and see where you fall in. Apparently, a 19 year old single guy is more likely to make a claim than a 53 year old, married fella.

Third area of the country; this takes into effect the number of claims in your location. Crime rates,weather,etc all play a part in this table. You're more likely to get your vehicle stolen in L.A. but you're more likely to crash it in Dec in Michigan.

Basically,they take their base rate,what they would charge the "ideal driver", with the "ideal vehicle", in the "ideal area" of the country and go from there. You pick up multipliers based on how far you stray from the "ideal". Insurance is a highly competative and gov't regulated business. I doubt that they make decisions based on whimsy.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Aha! Something I know a little bit about. Insurance rates are based on "actuary(sp) tables". Basically,they take the exact vehicle,the type of person,the area of the country and plug it in to get the rate.

First vehicle info; you're right that popularity plays a role in determining a vehicle's rate index. The more there are,the more claims. They take the number of claims (coll and comp)involving a particular vehicle against the total number of claims. Obviously,if there are more of a vehicle,there'll be more claims. Suvs have a very high incidence of roll overs and are involved in a great number of fender benders. Probably due to distracted parents. Note: when I first got my 'Busa,the ins. rate was approx. half that of a GSXR600 because it was listed as a "sport tourer" and the number of claims were low.

Second personal info; age,driving record,single/married,dependents,credit report,etc. They take these figures and see where you fall in. Apparently, a 19 year old single guy is more likely to make a claim than a 53 year old, married fella.

Third area of the country; this takes into effect the number of claims in your location. Crime rates,weather,etc all play a part in this table. You're more likely to get your vehicle stolen in L.A. but you're more likely to crash it in Dec in Michigan.

Basically,they take their base rate,what they would charge the "ideal driver", with the "ideal vehicle", in the "ideal area" of the country and go from there. You pick up multipliers based on how far you stray from the "ideal". Insurance is a highly competative and gov't regulated business. I doubt that they make decisions based on whimsy.
So if what you're saying is true... if I buy a bike that nobody else has... and I crash it... I do nothing to affect your insurance rates... I might even help them!
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
So if what you're saying is true... if I buy a bike that nobody else has... and I crash it... I do nothing to affect your insurance rates... I might even help them!
Hmmm...as far as bikes go they group them by type and base their rates accordingly. When I had my V-Max I was amazed that the rate was cheaper than it was on a FJ1200. Alot of the differences in rates come from how the underwriters group your particular bike.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

Ouch on the tank slapper.. (been there done that)
Glad your okay.

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #25
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i dont know how the rc is rated, but is a 1000cc SS and its not much more then the 636cc kawi

but i do like your post about not caring about others ideas and only your happyness, im not being sarcastic, if more ppl thought you and I, there would be more inteligent riders out there, instead of second guessing newbs

i would rep you if i could

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

thanks,buddy!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

i wish i knew how to wheelie. it's the only squidly desire i have. nice save, and for being man enough to say how dumb it was to do that.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hmmm...as far as bikes go they group them by type and base their rates accordingly. When I had my V-Max I was amazed that the rate was cheaper than it was on a FJ1200. Alot of the differences in rates come from how the underwriters group your particular bike.
It also depends on the insurance company. For instance, State Farm rates based on engine size, not on bike type. Farmers rates based on bike type. To insure the R6 with Farmers (actually Foremost) was something insane like $1500/year. With State Farm it was $600/year. Exact same bike, exact same rider, exact same record, just different company. Not sure if it's still that way or not since I haven't ridden in almost 3 years.

BTW, nice save.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
It also depends on the insurance company. For instance, State Farm rates based on engine size, not on bike type. Farmers rates based on bike type. To insure the R6 with Farmers (actually Foremost) was something insane like $1500/year. With State Farm it was $600/year. Exact same bike, exact same rider, exact same record, just different company. Not sure if it's still that way or not since I haven't ridden in almost 3 years.

BTW, nice save.

Thanks and I also use State Farm for the same reason. I was speaking in general terms for autos. Although,even State Farm uses the model to determine comprehensive. Apparently, GSXR1000s are one of the most stolen bikes around here. Thus a higher comp portion of your ins. They want $200+ more down here than in MI most of which is comp. same guy,same bike,different location.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 03-26-2008 at 08:54 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Wow that certainly sounds like a pucker moment for sure.

Pics of the carnage, motherfucker!
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote