Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
That makes baby Jesus cry.
there was no houses there at the time. seems that someone tried to build a subdivision and lost backing or interest, don't know but there was no houses in the area. the only traffic was other people looking for a place to practice some corners and a few cops that would run you off once in a while. we never could find the place on Disney to ride.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
there was no houses there at the time. seems that someone tried to build a subdivision and lost backing or interest, don't know but there was no houses in the area. the only traffic was other people looking for a place to practice some corners and a few cops that would run you off once in a while. we never could find the place on Disney to ride.
Is that the place in Sebring?
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #23
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcutt2 View Post
Is that the place in Sebring?
no, south east of Haines City. if you have google earth I can send you the file that will locate it for you.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
no, south east of Haines City. if you have google earth I can send you the file that will locate it for you.
After some digging...I found it, thanks though.

Might have to take a trip up that way.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcutt2 View Post
After some digging...I found it, thanks though.

Might have to take a trip up that way.
there are a few places that could be used for a "track" in that same area, think 3. there used to be an older woman that lived out there that would call the police so if you have after market exhaust you may not get much time before they show up. they are streets with signs and stop signs so they could ticket you but all they ever did was run us off.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #26
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

From a physics point of view, there is no argument that the full hang-off position is superior.

However, every rider and bike is different... a position that makes you comfortable and able to be smooth and controlled in your inputs is the best for you.

Note that guys like Doohan and them were riding absolute BEASTS of a bike... big 500cc two strokes that they needed to wrestle around just to keep them going in the right direction. That is the cause for why in that age they all rode crossed up.

Nowadays, if you wanted to win motoGP races, you couldn't do it with that body position, the guys hanging off like Spies and Stoner and Rossi would be able to carry more corner speed than you.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #27
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Check out pics of Mat Mladin for an example of a modern (badass) racer whose style is pretty much crossed up.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Mladin has been around a while though too.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
From a physics point of view, there is no argument that the full hang-off position is superior.
This is not necessarily true in real world application. There is much more to factor in beyond center of gravity of the bike/rider combination. You have to factor in traction, the section of track you're on, the chassis of the motorcycle and how it responds to input, sight limitations, control limitations, transition speed, and so on. The "ideal rider pose" only considers one small slice out of the big picture that ultimately determines lap time. Riders that try to force themselves into a preconceived pose are limiting themselves. Fast riders use their bodies in a limitless number of ways based on an equally limitless number of factors. If we agree that "superior" means the fastest lap time, then no, there is no such thing as a single superior body position, because they all have limitations. The faster rider will be the one that chooses his riding style based on the circumstances that exist from moment to moment. Staying as close to the limit as possible requires constant adaptation.

Quote:
Nowadays, if you wanted to win motoGP races, you couldn't do it with that body position
This is your current World Superbike champion, and he has also won in MotoGP.

So yes, it is possible to ride at the highest levels of the sport with an unorthodox riding style.

Quote:
the guys hanging off like Spies and Stoner and Rossi
If you watch Rossi, he does not hang off the bike much in most situations. His movements are very efficient and minimalist. Being arguably the greatest rider in history, it shows that a bunch of monkeying around on the bike is not necessary, and at times is detrimental to achieving the greatest results.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #30
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The twisty roads I ride on are much different than a track. Half the corners are blind, they are much sharper and steeper than a track, and there's no run-off. It's not prudent to go around a blind, mountain curve at full speed.

If there is sand in the corner, you have to stay in a tire track. Sure you can go faster if you cross over to the other track, but it's dangerous. Slow in and fast out.

I love to blast out of corners. It's a lot safer when you can see what's up ahead. Of course, throttle control is super important when leaned over. But if I am leaned way off the bike with my upper body, the bike itself is more leaned upright. That means I can get on the throttle sooner. It works for me. I've tested it hundreds of times. Both uphill and downhill.

Plus, there are several quick esses where I have a quarter second (or less) to lean from fully left to fully right and back again. I can move my upper body and head that fast. But I wouldn't be able to shift my butt around the seat, move my knee in on one side, move it out on the other, un-weigh a peg, or any of that stuff that can be done on a track. Anyway, most of these curves are to tight to be taken fast. And that's why I only move my upper body.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote