Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #61
The Awesome
Custom User Title

I'm nobody special, but put me down in the "I hate rear brakes" category. They aren't useful for straight line stopping if you use the front to its potential, my 600 didn't wheelie enough to need it for keeping the front end down, I trail brake only with the front, and I use the front when I run off track. The only place I give anything up by not using it is in the rain, where braking enough to unweight the rear is not possible. In that case, maximum braking is achieved by using both brakes together. By not using it in the dry, I never developed any control over it, so I just stayed off of it in the rain, too.

From an article about the Schwantz race school:

Some of his preferences come into play in the course syllabus. Like his personal dislike of the rear brake, the use of which he discourages despite the fact that several of the world's top motorcycle racers currently use rear braking to rotate the bike in corners. "I tried using the rear brake twice in my racing career", he explains. "And both times I found myself on the ground".
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #62
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
There is no ideal body position. The bottom line is you do what gets results in any given situation. There is no single magic pose that's the "right" way to ride a bike. The fact that guys like Doohan and Bayliss do what they do should end any debating.
Truth.

Exhibit A:

Mike "The Bike" Hailwood- One of the faster motherfuckers of all time. Known for not leaning much, or dragging a knee.

JC