Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250
Talking Reno, Yosemite, and the Redwoods

My husband and I returned from our trip to Reno, Yosemite, and the Redwoods about 3 weeks ago and I am ready to go again. I have been riding for a couple of years but this was my first experience at touring. My husband on the other has taken several motorcycle trips including a trip to Prudhoe Bay in 2007. Before this the longest I have rode in one day is about 250 miles. Two very different experience levels but one great ride.

Day 1 Saturday – Lynnwood, WA to Medford, OR (467 Miles)
Our first destination would be Reno, NV for a long over due visit with Brandon’s grandma. Since we had limited time off work we decided to skip the scenic route the first day and headed straight down I-5. This was a long and pretty uneventful day. We called it a night at a hotel just outside of Medford.

Day 2 Sunday – Medford, OR to Reno, NV (346 Miles)
We woke up the second day feeling pretty good. I expected to be somewhat sore from so many miles but all was well. We got some breakfast and loaded the bikes. With so many deer and elk in the area we decided to have a slow start and not leave at dusk. We headed out Hwy 140 toward Klamath Falls. I kept thinking this is such a great road, where are the locals? I would have my answer when it dropped to 38 degrees at the top of the pass and started to rain. Heated grips FTMFW! We came across this meadow on our way down the pass.

We continued down Hwy 395 experiencing some really heavy cross winds. In Standish, CA we stopped for fuel and a little breather. While we were there several BMWs pulled up. It turns out that they were headed home from a BMW rally in OR. If we had known about it sooner we would have added it to our journey. We stayed and talked to this really cool couple on an older BWM. I wish I had thought to get a picture of them. She gave me a big hug when we went to leave and I felt like I was truly leaving a friend. I hope I see her again someday.

We arrived in Reno about 4:00. We checked in, cleaned up and were off to find some dinner.

Day 3 Monday – No travel
Today was spent in Reno with Brandon’s grandma. We have not seen her in a long time and it was good to get a visit in.

The Silver Legacy is just another hotel as far as I am concerned but they did have excellent bike parking. At the hotel we took these picks of a fellow rider.

Day 4 Tuesday – Reno, NV to Buck Meadows, CA (196 Miles)
The original plan was to go from Reno to Yellowstone but the weather looked like it was going to be cold and wet. We decided that we could ride in the cold and wet anytime we like and change plans to head south. We heard rumors that Tioga pass into Yosemite can be a nasty pass so we opted to enter the park from the west. We looked at the map and picked Hwy 4 to get us down there. This has to be one of the craziest roads I have every traveled. It was 1st and 2nd gear switchbacks, huge cliffs, no guardrails and the road was so narrow that they did not bother to paint a strip. I forgot to mention the cars that come screaming around the corners at you. It did provide some awesome scenery!

Yes, that is snow

Day 5 Wednesday – Played in Yosemite
Today was spent just playing in the park. We saw some incredible sites and could have easily spent another day here. We did head back to the hotel about 2:00 because the heat was getting unbearable and the inattentive drivers were getting think.

julie j is offline   Reply With Quote