Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure
Default Can't say I'm feeling bad for this dumbass dead rider

http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...ahoo_headlines

A motorcyclist was killed Monday in a collision with a motor home on Highway 101’s Conejo Grade after he slowed rapidly in front of the recreational vehicle in an apparent road-rage incident, authorities said.

The motorcyclist, a 57-year-old Ventura man, was killed about 12:22 p.m. on southbound Highway 101 near Camarillo Springs Road when he collided with a roughly 30-foot motor home driven by Michael Antoine, 68, of Thousand Oaks, said Officer Terry Uhrich of the California Highway Patrol’s Moorpark office.

Authorities did not identify the motorcyclist because they were still working to notify relatives.

The motorcyclist and Antoine were both traveling about 55 mph when the collision occurred in the right lane, authorities said. Witnesses and Antoine later told authorities that the motorcyclist had made obscene hand gestures, pulled in front of the motor home, then slowed down dramatically, Uhrich said.

Antoine did not have time to react and struck the back of the low-slung custom motorcycle, causing it to become stuck under the front of the RV, authorities said. The motorcyclist was thrown from the bike, run over by the motor home and dragged underneath for about 75 feet, Uhrich said. Unable to steer, Antoine continued about 500 feet and hit the center divider, Uhrich said.

The frame of the motorcycle carved a deep groove in the roadway as it was pulled under the motor home. Antoine was not injured.

The cause of the initial confrontation was unclear, but investigators believe the motorcyclist intentionally slowed in front of the motor home, Uhrich said. There were no other vehicles that would have made the motorcyclist slow to avoid them, he said.

“It looks like partial road rage,” the officer said. Antoine was not suspected of any wrongdoing, Uhrich said.

Several Ventura County firefighters were on Highway 101 on their way to another crash when they spotted the collision just after it happened. Fire Capt. Barry Parker was in the engine that pulled over to investigate after he and other firefighters saw smoke from the collision, he said.

“I thought I had an RV fire,” Parker said.

The firefighters instead found the motorcyclist lying in the roadway. They gave him emergency medical aid, but he did not have a pulse, and they pronounced him dead at the scene, Parker said. “We did what we could,” he said.

While he couldn’t recall any other cases of motorcycles slowing rapidly in front of motor homes, Uhrich said local CHP officers field 911 calls about erratic braking and obscene gestures every day. “It’s impatient driving,” he said.

The fatal crash came amid a statewide increase in motorcycle fatalities. They climbed 8.1 percent in 2008, to 560, compared with 518 in 2007, according to the state Office of Traffic Safety.

Motorcycle deaths have risen consistently since 1998, when only 204 fatalities were reported.

While authorities are still trying to determine why, young men riding fast sport bikes and older men returning to motorcycles after a long absence appear to be factors, said Chris Cochran, a spokesman for the Office of Traffic Safety.

Last edited by fnfalman; 08-11-2009 at 01:34 PM..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

No sympathy. I feel for his family though.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Stupid is as stupid does...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I feel sorry for the guy driving the motorhome. He has to deal with the fact that he has now killed a man. Regardless of the guys stupidity, he was still driving and he still ran over a motorcyclist and killed him.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I feel sorry for the guy driving the motorhome. He has to deal with the fact that he has now killed a man. Regardless of the guys stupidity, he was still driving and he still ran over a motorcyclist and killed him.
Right. Sucks for him.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Someone forgot to tell this guy brake checking only works when you have 4 wheels and aren't tiny in comparison to the vehicle you are brake checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

damn hope he didn't mess the guys motorhome up too much. it would suck to have your vacation interrupted by a dumbass like that.

i do have to admit it almost makes me chuckle. you brake check someone in a "c'mon" type of fashion. guess the motorhome driver brought it on.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

You only win the game of brake check if you're driving a semi. FTW
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I think you guys are being narrow minded. The fuckin rv guy probably damn near ran him over, like in a lane change so the guy got pissed and was explaining it to the man. Problem was, the rider couldn't ride well enough to back up his "mouth".

I have done similar countless times. I have also master the 6" cut off. Especially on the new hog. But unlike when I was on the rocket, most drivers tend to fear the hd rider more. Hmmm...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
most drivers tend to fear the hd rider more. Hmmm...

Costs too much to replace the bike?