Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Cool Pics! That looks like fun, I might have to try that sometime.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Some transmissions don't do it smoothly... ahem- Buells (or so I've heard)
more torque def increases the "lurch"
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

im thinking i would love to try a day at the strip, just for shits and giggles

but launching a 1000cc vtwin ... that sounds like a recipe for a endo backwards

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
im thinking i would love to try a day at the strip, just for shits and giggles

but launching a 1000cc vtwin ... that sounds like a recipe for a endo backwards
I have heard that the pavement they use on drag-strips offers significantly more traction, similar to a race track, which can make launches, ahem, "tricky".

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I have heard that the pavement they use on drag-strips offers significantly more traction, similar to a race track, which can make launches, ahem, "tricky".
yea, check out the gleam on the strip here.

and also check out the lift on that front fire and the compression on the suspension, so cool.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca_007 View Post
I can shift without the clutch on the street but it never seems to work at the strip.
maybe you're too excited cuz your at the dragstrip, and not timing the shifting right? thats what i did my first time out. that, plus at the strip you shift at a higher rpm than the street, harder to get the timing right. i missed 2nd gear alot my 1st time out, sometimes 3rd too.

at what rpm/how are you launching? 2.2 seems kinda high

cool picthat thing is pulling hard at the finish line! what gear do you cross in?
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Rider
Moto GP Star

Next time you hit up 131, let me know, I'll go with you. I want to see what my Z750 will do.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #18
1hottbikechic
Ninja Hottie

Moto: Sportbikes, MX

Well your placement looks good, your all over the tank in the first few, so thats good.... Pics look great!!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #19
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Try this for power shifts if'n you're having problems;

A. Adjust your clutch at home, when the bike is hot. The plates can swell and drag, so go and do a couple burnouts and then check freeplay; you'll likely find it's GONE after you've het it up a bit. Now adjust for free play and engagment. Improper indexing the 1-2 shift and/or neutral is the best indicator of a dragging clutch.

B. Technique. I don't know your size/strength, but a FIRM boot is required for full-throttle upshifts. If you continue having problems, you may want to consider track-pattern shifting (one up/five down), it'll give you more positve upshifts (I don't know if you can flip on the Zed or not without a lot of rigamaroll). Best technique is to get that foot on the peg asap during launch and preload the lever as if your going to do a clutchless upshift, but instead of backing off the throttle, leave it on WFO and I slide my fingers out towards the end of the clutchlever ball end for better leverage, then pull the clutch in ever so slightly till the shifter slides into the next gear. Yes, bunky, you will be replacing plates more often if you are hitting the strip. And, yes, the engine will be bouncing off the limiter for a second, but that's racing, right?

Clutchless upshifts at the strip don't work very well because you have to either back too far off the throttle to remove enough pressure to get it to shift, or you have to slam shift it (yanking up (or stomping down if you've a race shift pattern) hard enough to force the shift drum to rotate) but this is hell on shift forks and gear dogs, and you WILL eventually blow the trans.

If you are racing stock classes with no air or electric shifters, check your local rules, some classes you are allowed to use the kill switch method. Add a spring-loaded button-type kill switch at a comfortable distance from your thumb. Shift technique with this is the same as clutchless shifting: full throttle, preload the lever, and when you are ready to shift, just touch the kill switch for a second and the bike will shift slick as butter. A little practice with this and you'l be amazed at the speed of your shifts.

Just a couple old racer tricks............
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

good tips...especially on the boot thing-gotta be a good firm shift, no matter what technique u use.

in my personal experience, clutchless worked alot better for me. fanning the clutch and shifting wot didnt help me e.t. any better, and clutchless shifting was more consistent. shifted like that for a year and a half, never had a tranny problem. i dont even think they backcut the trannys at the factory in 1980 like they do now.

one tip for clutchless-dont flap your whole elbow, just snap your wrist alil. you dont wana look like you trying to fly lol, plus all that movement upsets the bike alil. once you learn how to do one or both pretty well, just buy a airshifter. easier on the bike, and the fastest most consistent way to shift. cheaper than buying clutch plates all the time, or replacing a tranny if you screw up. but you should always know the fundamentals 1st.
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote