Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #91
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

the older you get, the harder it is to find a bike in good condition. i found my 98 (in 06) with 6k miles on it. doesnt get much better than that. more importantly is the previous owner though.

i say she saves her money and buys a house boat, and invites me down for a drink at the marina.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #92
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
you have the zzr :P
it's the same as the ZX6R from 02...

though I didn't see where she was looking for a NEW 600... just that she wanted A 600...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #93
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
it's the same as the ZX6R from 02...

though I didn't see where she was looking for a NEW 600... just that she wanted A 600...
isnt the gearing different?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #94
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
isnt the gearing different?
no... the fairing stay is... some say the rear shock is too... but gearing is the same... (mine is changed)
Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #95
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
whoah... telling an Admin what he can and can't contribute to a thread? Isn't that crossin the line a bit there?

Pass the popcorn! this could get fun!!
Hey don't blow the my cover... I'm incog-choppa-nita admin!!

Oh yeah and

Now I will go at NeonRT's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
First things first. This is a public internet forum. So you will get off topic posts, you will get people answering questions you didn't ask, and you will get people answering the question you asked as well. So don't get offended by people trying to give you advice and help. Even if you didn't ask for it. If you don't want to hear what people say, then don't post on a public message forum.
Yeah a public forum is a place where you will get opinions. If you don't want them then you should stay talking to your imaginary friend.

Quote:
That being said, you need to step back for a minute. You ARE a new rider. No if's, and's, or but's about it. You said yourself you only put between 500 to 1000 miles on a street bike in a year. Thats nothing. Thats what most people put on their bikes in a month or two of riding back and forth to a local bike night.

It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist. Just because you may have a good dirt bike background, that doesn't mean you are an experienced street rider. Sure it helps with clutch control and shifting. Thats it. Dirt bikes handle totally different then street bikes.
Yes, I would say it takes at least 3k to bust off the beginers dust.

Quote:
You said it yourself, you aren't looking for speed. Then why did you get rid of the 500cc? You had a paid off bike sitting in your garage that you obviously wern't comfortable on. So now you are going to go spend money on a newer bike and make payments on something that will sit in your garage?

Reading back over your posts, I see what the problem is. You had a boyfriend who taught you how to ride telling you to upgrade. So you have it stuck in your head since your boyfriend told you to upgrade, you are ready. We see that happen quite often actually. Have you ever taken a MSF class? If not, I really encourage you to go do that before you spend your money on a new bike. See if riding is even for you. Learn the correct way to corner, stop quickly, swerve, ect.

Now all of that being said, you can "START" riding on a 600cc. You just have to be wise. People have given you some excellent suggestions in this post. The SV650 is a great bike, the ZX650 is a great bike, an older 600cc like a CBR600F3 or F4 are great starter bikes.
The bike you are on or start on has alot to do with how you procieve the riding expierence. The 500 is a great bike for both. All around a good bike. I rode one for 3 years. And I would think going to a 250 would be a step down... DUH right! Further, as said, going from no payment nice bike to a payment lesser bike is a step in the opposite direction.

And the idea that after 750 miles you need to go to a 600 is CRAZY! Now I will admit the one advantage is that most of your 600's will give you one advantage. An adjustable suspension!!

Beyond that honestly Neon said it best

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #96
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
The bike you are on or start on has alot to do with how you procieve the riding expierence.
VERY true. Developing your skills as a rider on a smaller, tamer bike allows you to build your experience without the pucker effect. Seriously, there's enough to think about, remember, and learn without adding in a fear-factor. Moving up to a bigger bike too quickly can actually RETARD your development as a good rider (and hurt your confidence). I've seen it happen - and it's resulted in people getting hurt, people getting scared out of riding altogether, or both.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #97
1hottbikechic
Ninja Hottie

Moto: Sportbikes, MX

Quote:
First things first. This is a public internet forum. So you will get off topic posts, you will get people answering questions you didn't ask, and you will get people answering the question you asked as well. So don't get offended by people trying to give you advice and help. Even if you didn't ask for it. If you don't want to hear what people say, then don't post on a public message forum.

That being said, you need to step back for a minute. You ARE a new rider. No if's, and's, or but's about it. You said yourself you only put between 500 to 1000 miles on a street bike in a year. Thats nothing. Thats what most people put on their bikes in a month or two of riding back and forth to a local bike night.

It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist. Just because you may have a good dirt bike background, that doesn't mean you are an experienced street rider. Sure it helps with clutch control and shifting. Thats it. Dirt bikes handle totally different then street bikes.

If you were getting bored on a 500cc in only 1000 miles, then you need to go turn pro in AMA roadracing. If you're that good then you are destined to be the next Ben Spies.

You said it yourself, you aren't looking for speed. Then why did you get rid of the 500cc? You had a paid off bike sitting in your garage that you obviously wern't comfortable on. So now you are going to go spend money on a newer bike and make payments on something that will sit in your garage?

Reading back over your posts, I see what the problem is. You had a boyfriend who taught you how to ride telling you to upgrade. So you have it stuck in your head since your boyfriend told you to upgrade, you are ready. We see that happen quite often actually. Have you ever taken a MSF class? If not, I really encourage you to go do that before you spend your money on a new bike. See if riding is even for you. Learn the correct way to corner, stop quickly, swerve, ect.

Now all of that being said, you can "START" riding on a 600cc. You just have to be wise. People have given you some excellent suggestions in this post. The SV650 is a great bike, the ZX650 is a great bike, an older 600cc like a CBR600F3 or F4 are great starter bikes.

When you get your new bike be safe, wear your gear, and put some miles on the bike. That will get you on your start to becoming a proficient motorcyclist. Good luck.
I appreciate the advice, I was just asking not to be "flamed" enough of that I see on bike forums and I have been in this hobby/industry for quite some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron12 View Post
I would reccomend you buy what ever bike your friends at the beach are going to be like "wow cool look at jenna she is such a bad ass girl she owns a motorcycle". I don't think we have to worry about her killing herself because she is not ready if she is not even going to ride the damn thing. Hell she is willing to enertain the new 250 just because it looks so hot and its sooo cheap like 3500 dollars is chump change or something. Your not a squid you are a poseur but thats okay motorcycles are soo hot right now....
I'm sorry I'm not a rider that goes for whats cool at the time... If that was the case I certainly wouldn't have started out on a bike that is as dated as the 500... atleast this year they upgraded the 250, maybe the 500 next year. I can tell you alot about riding and racing. You call me a poser but I have alot of experience at the race track, and am working on building my riding skills on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
the older you get, the harder it is to find a bike in good condition. i found my 98 (in 06) with 6k miles on it. doesnt get much better than that. more importantly is the previous owner though.

i say she saves her money and buys a house boat, and invites me down for a drink at the marina.
I'd like anything 95+ that's in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
VERY true. Developing your skills as a rider on a smaller, tamer bike allows you to build your experience without the pucker effect. Seriously, there's enough to think about, remember, and learn without adding in a fear-factor. Moving up to a bigger bike too quickly can actually RETARD your development as a good rider (and hurt your confidence). I've seen it happen - and it's resulted in people getting hurt, people getting scared out of riding altogether, or both.
I appreciate your advice too Nee.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #98
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hottbikechic View Post
I appreciate the advice, I was just asking not to be "flamed" enough of that I see on bike forums and I have been in this hobby/industry for quite some time now.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you think the contents of this thread consistute flaming, you need to grow a thicker skin. This is NUTTIN.

And being in the "hobby/industry for quite some time" doesn't equate actual riding experience. Heck, I was involved in the 'local riding scene' and such for a long time before I started riding, but what I learned once I started riding was that I didn't know SHIT!
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #99
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

This thread is hilarious. The ridiculous reasons and explanations and excuses are pure comic entertainment. For example... I LOVE this little gem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hottbikechic View Post
I can tell you alot about riding and racing. You call me a poser but I have alot of experience at the race track, and am working on building my riding skills on the road.
Wait a second.... so I can become a better rider by going to the track and being a curb squirrel? Shit, I should just forget about track days and leave my bike in the garage. I'll buy some daisy dukes and head up there tomorrow in my car!

Quote:
It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yes, I would say it takes at least 3k to bust off the beginers dust.
I still maintain that time and miles don't mean anything compared to what people think they do. TYPE of miles and a desire to constantly improve technique are what's important. This is three months after the first time I ever sat on a motorcycle which was in my MSF class:
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #100
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I'll agree with ya there CEO... I've got more than 3k under my belt... but less than 3 months total actual seat time and that's broken up over 2 years... I'm still a noob by far!

I do think by 10k though... your no longer a noob... you may still be an idiot squid... but not a noob.