Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Besides going around corners, I like snapping the throttle to WFO. The roads I ride, I can only do it for a few seconds. If you ever get out to Bonneville, take Route 93 south from Wendover. I worked in the Deep Creek Range and stayed in Wendover. In three months, I think I saw three cars on that road. That's a place you could hold the throttle wide open for a while.

When I rode the RR during the demo, I pinned the throttle and passed the leader. That was a no-no. The RR is unbelievably fast, and the brakes were impeccable. My problem was with the ergonomics. My head extended beyond the windshield. Kind of like riding a spear as the bike disappeared under me. Except I had to move my head down to see the gauges and twisting my head to look into the next lane made me look at my shoulder.

The seat wasn't too bad, and the acute angle of my knees was tolerable. The worse part was my ankles. Can you bend your foot so your toes touch your shin? I can't, but you almost had to do that to upshift. And I love shifting. Downshifting was almost as bad. Now I understand why riders don't use the rear brake on new bikes. It was almost impossible unless I raised my knee. Maybe it could have been adjusted, but on demo rides, there's only a few minutes between rides. Luckily we were so far ahead of the others during the ride, we stopped often.

I only used sport-mode on the BMW, but even that was fast. As for quickness, Motorcycle Consumer News tested the RR in June, 2010. It did 0-60 in 3.10 seconds.

Cycle magazine tested the Streetsports: CBR1000F, ZX-11, Katana1100, and FJ1200 in May, 1991. The CBR did 0-60 in 2.75 seconds. The same as the FZR1000 and GSXR1100 that they tested in the same issue. The ZX-11? That did it in 2.65 seconds. Almost half a second quicker than the RR. That's extremely quick. Who won the streetsport test? The ZX-11 won with the CBR in second. In the Ultrasports, the FZR won.

And here's something else I found out when I demo'd the RR. My 32-year-old Suzuki turns easier. At street speeds anyway.
Sounds like you were out of position on the bike. Unless you are gigantor. At 6'2", I had no problem sitting on this bike and it reminded me of my 600rr. I could get my head under the screen, you just got to get your butt back and get tucked, it's a race bike, not a touring bike. It's made for speed, not comfort.

As far as turning easier, I highly doubt that as well. This thing drops into corners as easily as a modern 600. It's very very good in tight twisties. You may have been experiencing the traction control in the corners if you were staying up right in the seat and leaning it over more than necessary instead of getting your ass off the seat and having to lean less. The bike will disengage power at high lean angles in the lower modes like sport and rain.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote