Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #41
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

OK, just got notice I'll be in Bergen for their open house - April 17th.

That's Rochelle Park, NJ.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #42
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Looks like Colorado Demo this weekend has been cancelled due to weather. Bummer. I'll still be in Ventura next weekend.

I don't have date commitments yet for many of the demos - but, I'll let y'all know
Whoda thunk they don't wanna demo bikes when it's snowing???

CO was rescheduled to April... I wanna say 8-9?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #43
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I went down to Foothills BMW at 1:00 and a bunch of demo bikes were just heading out. I signed up for the 2:00 ride and walked around the dealership. I met a couple who had GS1150's with cavernous metal saddlebags. I started talking to them and the guy pulled everything out of his saddlebags to show me what he had.

This guy could have ridden the Road of Bones in Russia and would have been prepared for any mishap. Everything was organized in clear bags and boxes. His tire patch kit was in an old VHS tape box. He could have repaired 50 flat tires. He had an electric air pump and a bicycle pump. He made his own jumper cables, but the neatest thing was a patch he bought at a truck stop to repair sidewall blowouts. I didn't even know they made such a thing.

So I signed up for a S1000RR demo. The leader explained the different modes (I kept it in Sport Mode), that I could shift up without the clutch and with the throttle on, and that the brake warning light would come on at the beginning. I was on a red, white, and blue one, right behind the leader. So I started it up, shifted into first and the bike stalled. I had the kickstand down.

I started again and put my feet on the pegs. They were positioned about where the passenger pegs are located on my bike. So at the first light, I stall it at the green. At the next light, I make sure to give it more throttle and I rev it so high the shift light comes on. We've gone about an eighth of a mile and I'm not doing too good.

We accelerate onto a freeway and I look down at the speedo-85 mph. Holy crap this thing moves. We exit at a cloverleaf. The stubby clip-ons are harder for me to instigate a turn, but once leaned over, the bike was in it's groove. I accelerate like a demon and come up to another light. The guy behind me on a GS pulls up and tells me that my bike has unbelievable acceleration. I nod, grinning ear to ear.

And the brakes were like anchors. I'm used to four finger braking and I was stopping well behind the lead rider and had to move up at the lights. We went on another highway, a backroad, the interstate, and a major street. I didn't look down at the speedo, but we went fast. When we exited the interstate, I saw that a Highway Patrol had just pulled over a car. Lucky for us.

Just when I was getting the feel for the clutch, brakes, shifter, throttle, and handling, the ride came to an end. It was over 40 minutes, but my wrists didn't hurt. My knees and ankles were a little stiff from the angle, but it was a great ride and a great bike. When I got on my old Suzuki, the handlebars felt like ape-hangers. I had a great time and highly recommend the S1000RR for a demo ride.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #44
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

That is exactly what demos are about! Glad you enjoyed yourself!!
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #45
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds fun.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #46
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
NJ and CT but nothing in NY ;(
hey Tommy, i'm game for a road trip, if i'm not working those dates.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #47
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Fun? It was like welcome to the 21st Century. I always wondered how my friend on his Gixxer could pass a car just before a downhill switchback. Radial mount brakes. And the ones on the S1000RR were awesome.

Surprisingly, there were a lot of young people at the demo. After I got off the bike a young woman asked me about the bike. I rambled on several minutes about the ride. There's not much fairing, but the red, white, and blue is stunning.

Now if BMW wants to sell a bunch of bikes, they need to make a sport/tourer with this same engine. Larger fairing, pegs moved forward, higher handlebar, centerstand, more seat padding, and a gain of only 25 pounds. As it is, the RR is just too much race for me.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #48
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

So I thought the demo ride was the end of it, but this morning I receive a call that I won the free raffle at the demo. Did I win a bike? I ride down to the BMW dealer to get my prize. It was a BMW shirt, BMW hat, BMW money clip, and two BMW hat pins:
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #49
Rider
Moto GP Star

Can't complain with winning free shit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #50
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Cool, thanks! Not much within a stones throw of NC. I'll have to watch for updates.
Same here. I want to ride the S1000RR.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote