Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh and as far as this chick goes, I just hope she doesn't end up being another "chick on a bike" scenario like Melissa Paris. I mean, I admire her TT times and I'm sure that it's faster than I can go but 10 mph slower and I believe she faded and ended up getting lapped once or even twice.

I still will never understand why women don't kick ass motorcycle racing?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

If she faded you probably have your answer, a lack of strength and endurance.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Oh and as far as this chick goes, I just hope she doesn't end up being another "chick on a bike" scenario like Melissa Paris. I mean, I admire her TT times and I'm sure that it's faster than I can go but 10 mph slower and I believe she faded and ended up getting lapped once or even twice.

She was third I believe last year in the bss cup (600 superstock) and it wasn't mentioned but I think she won the brit ttx-gp last year. And I don't either, high hopes for this one
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post

Physical strength and endurance. Thats pretty much a fact. They have much better hand-eye coordination and reflexes (in general, not in all cases), but dont have the strength or endurance to muscle around a bike for a whole race.

Hope she does well though.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Physical strength and endurance. Thats pretty much a fact. They have much better hand-eye coordination and reflexes (in general, not in all cases), but dont have the strength or endurance to muscle around a bike for a whole race.

Dani pedrosa is pretty much a woman and he does fine. I like how you guys jumped past possible causes like shoestring budget and privateer setup/parts/etc and go straight to blaming her ovaries.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Dani pedrosa is pretty much a woman and he does fine. I like how you guys jumped past possible causes like shoestring budget and privateer setup/parts/etc and go straight to blaming her ovaries.

Im not saying there isnt other reasons. But its a fact, pound for pound, women dont have the strength or endurance of men. Its why we have male and female leagues for most sports.

Take hockey for example, the best female players in the world would be considered mediocre at best, compared to a 4th line male NHL player. Its not an insult, its just the way it is.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

And, I would go more psychological than physical for an answer. In a true fight or flight scenario the [and I mean TRUE adrenalin pumping, pushed to the limit situation] women are subject to "survival of the species."

I know plenty of women that can do the strength and endurance that men can - two of which do Iron Man competitions. It's the battle for the finish, or toe to toe fight that pushes your will to live in a that-shit-will-kill-you situation.

Notice how women that crash out of a sport are usually done with their racing career whereas men can get back into it easier [Jessica Zaluski and Melissa Paris as examples]? Mind fuck is a bigger factor for women than men.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

FWIW, I hope Jenny kicks butt and does REALLY well. Both her and Elena have been doing this long enough that maybe, just maybe their conditioning has changed that 'girl brain' they were born with... hopefully.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
And, I would go more psychological than physical for an answer. In a true fight or flight scenario the [and I mean TRUE adrenalin pumping, pushed to the limit situation] women are subject to "survival of the species."

I know plenty of women that can do the strength and endurance that men can - two of which do Iron Man competitions. It's the battle for the finish, or toe to toe fight that pushes your will to live in a that-shit-will-kill-you situation.

Notice how women that crash out of a sport are usually done with their racing career whereas men can get back into it easier [Jessica Zaluski and Melissa Paris as examples]? Mind fuck is a bigger factor for women than men.
Competing in Iron Man competitions is fine, but what are their times like compared to the men? The strength and endurance thing makes me think their times are slower than men who place similarly to the women you are talking about (say 50th place among men vs. 50th place among women).

The strength and endurance argument doesn't mean they can't finish a race. Obviously that isn't the case. It does mean that a comparably skilled woman probably isn't going to be able to maintain the same pace over the course of a race as a man.

I don't discount your theory, but I do think that strength and endurance differences play a part.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't discount your theory, but I do think that strength and endurance differences play a part.
No, I do agree that strength and endurance play a part. There is no disputing that men are physically stronger than women. Well, on average anyway...

I just believe in elbow to elbow competitions, men have more mental stamina than women do. It isn't that women don't have the drive to do it - we do. Hell, tell a woman she can't do something, sometime

In the past, I discounted "girl brain" as a factor. I was one of those women that didn't have PMS, emotional mood swings and the like. Then, I experienced it... let me tell you, there are things I didn't want to know. If that is what "normal" women go through every month, I know why they are batshit crazy. All it takes is something to make those voices speak up in their heads - career over.

Come Play at the Track!!