Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Default GSXR 750 clutch plates

seems like its time,
take a look at this link,
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...0-2004-05.html

Do i only need to replace #s 7-11 ?

can the friction plates (10/11) be salvaged by wet sanding ?

how does video rate for instructions ? what is the tool he used to release the spring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjxIGmYcR0
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
goof2
AMA Supersport

Look around and see if you can get a service manual online. AMJ's stickied thread at the start of this category is a good place to start. It should list specs for what is acceptable wear on the clutch plates. For my bike (01 R6) there is only one standard for all the clutch plates while yours might have two for the different part numbers. Again, for my bike the standards are based on inspection for damage and the amount of warpage. There is no standard for thickness. Your bike may be different though.

Basically you won't know if the clutch plates are reusable until you remove and inspect them.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
AquaPython
put it THIS way

blah so this will be a 2 part process.
take it out and inspect, then order as needed, wait, put back in.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
blah so this will be a 2 part process.
take it out and inspect, then order as needed, wait, put back in.
You may want to check and see how much more (2 shipping charges vs 1) it would cost to do it that way. All the clutch plates together look like they will cost around $50 so it may be worth it to you to just go ahead and get everything at the same time.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
You may want to check and see how much more (2 shipping charges vs 1) it would cost to do it that way. All the clutch plates together look like they will cost around $50 so it may be worth it to you to just go ahead and get everything at the same time.
Yep.

If it is $50 for the whole package just do it all at once and save the hassle.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
AquaPython
put it THIS way

True. My shopping cart was emptied out, but it was about 200 for all of those plates. i dont need to replace the spring, right? anything else?

can I use something like needle nose pliers to compress the spring?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Springs are the same deal. If they are no longer the proper length (should be in the service manual) they "should" be replaced. As long as they aren't broken I don't think most people bother though.

It may involve a bit more down time, but it would probably be better to take the clutch apart now and figure out exactly what you are going to need. Really everything in the clutch, including the clutch basket, are "as needed" parts but you won't know what is needed until it is disassembled. Your clutch might not even be acting up due to worn plates. Your pressure plate may have uneven or not enough pressure due to broken springs and your plates may be fine.

Unless the bike serves as your only means of transportation take the clutch apart the next time you get the chance. Figure out what parts you do and don't need and place the order the next day.