Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
shmike
Follower

I can't even fathom how that is possible.

What's the output on a KLR? 50 - 60hp?

I can understand forgetting a spacer but how does one ride a KLR down the street (forget about hundresd of miles) without noticing that there is a "bit" more drag than usual?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I meant that he can go ahead and replace tye things he can see with his eyes but hell probably forget things you cant see aka bearings.
Add to that the cush drive, sprocket, axle, nut, even the hub and the rear brake and brake fluid become suspect at this point, not to mention teh bearings which are toast. What other parts that were super heated enough to melt a swingarm that are now weakened? How hot did the hub get, did any of the spokes weaken? I mean really the whole thing needs to be xrayed and looked at carefully and seen which parts are still as strong as they were when they were first made, which are heat fatigue casualties? The whole swingarm assembly is toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I can't even fathom how that is possible.

What's the output on a KLR? 50 - 60hp?

I can understand forgetting a spacer but how does one ride a KLR down the street (forget about hundresd of miles) without noticing that there is a "bit" more drag than usual?
a whopping 35hp. I would think that you could feel something wrong with the wheel too.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #23
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Tackle box... all those little compartments... and you can latch them up to keep everything in place for when you knock it off the workbench.
That's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Add to that the cush drive, sprocket, axle, nut, even the hub and the rear brake and brake fluid become suspect at this point, not to mention teh bearings which are toast. What other parts that were super heated enough to melt a swingarm that are now weakened? How hot did the hub get, did any of the spokes weaken? I mean really the whole thing needs to be xrayed and looked at carefully and seen which parts are still as strong as they were when they were first made, which are heat fatigue casualties? The whole swingarm assembly is toast

a whopping 35hp. I would think that you could feel something wrong with the wheel too.
I would say everything behind the trans is junk and maybe even look at that sprocket and output shaft seal. I'm with ya, I wouldn't trust the rear wheel or anything attached to it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #24
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
That's a good one!

I would say everything behind the trans is junk and maybe even look at that sprocket and output shaft seal. I'm with ya, I wouldn't trust the rear wheel or anything attached to it.
I think he could probably salvage the tire and the rim, I dont think that spokes can transfer that much heat, being so thin I bet they cool off well before the rim. Also I would bet the swing arm pivot bolt is good too. But yeh everything behind that is toast. Its just cheaper and easier to replace instead of getting it properly examined and then replaced as necessary.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #25
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I think he could probably salvage the tire and the rim, I dont think that spokes can transfer that much heat, being so thin I bet they cool off well before the rim. Also I would bet the swing arm pivot bolt is good too. But yeh everything behind that is toast. Its just cheaper and easier to replace instead of getting it properly examined and then replaced as necessary.
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. I would probably replace everything from the swingarm pivot back. There's plenty of wrecked bikes out there from which to get surrogate parts.

Could probably get a complete rear assembly cheaper than all of the separate parts that need to be replaced anyhow (to say nothing about what it would cost if you miss something)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. I would probably replace everything from the swingarm pivot back. There's plenty of wrecked bikes out there from which to get surrogate parts.

Probably get a complete rear assembly cheaper than all of the separate parts that need to be replaced anyhow (to say nothing about what it would cost if you miss something)
agreed, just replace everything from the swingarm, and back.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I will agree with the tire and pivit bolt. But as far as the rim & spokes. I'm going to say ok, maybe, but the hub is toast so just buy a new rim. Cheaper and easier.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
derf
token jewboy

Minor update, the spacer was on the bike when the guy took the hub apart, it was fused to a bearing and because the bearing lost all the balls or rollers it was pushed way back into the hub. Either way the hub is toast too.

From what it looks like is that he either over tourqued the swing arm or something just failed out of no where.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #29
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

That'd have to be some wicked over torquing...
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

This is just crazy. No matter how you look at it, melting a swingarm seems to be damn near impossible yet this guy managed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Tackle box... all those little compartments... and you can latch them up to keep everything in place for when you knock it off the workbench.
I take it you've had experience?

I either lay my parts on either side of the bike just as I've taken off (like an exploded view) or use an egg carton (or my "trunk" tray).
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote