Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default If it comes off the bike it needs to go back on

This happened because the owner forgot to put back a spacer inside the wheel hub. Now the guy is 2000 miles from home, and trying desperately to replace his slightly melted swingarm and rear wheel.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

What. The. Fuck.

There is a reason mechanics have a job. This guy.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
What. The. Fuck.

There is a reason mechanics have a job. This guy.
What do you mean? I'm sure there weren't ANY warning signs that something was wrong.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=melted

Quote:
I'm on a round-the-US trip, and apparently, I forgot to put on the chain-side wheel spacer the last time I changed the tire. The bike made it 3500 miles, but on a 105 degree day, in the middle of the Texas desert, this happened:

Obviously, I need a new swingarm, and probably everything in the rear wheel as well. I'm spending a good bit of time tracking down used parts to replace everything with, but even buying used parts, and doing everything myself it's still going to be a $500 mistake, and it'll cost me a week of travel time. Don't neglect your spacers, apparently they're there for a reason!

Nah, it was definitely the heat that did it. The sprocket probably started rubbing on the swingarm after the bearing cap got hot enough to smush itself into the swingarm, and because the swingarm was so hot and soft, when the sprocket started contacting the swingarm, I think the force from that contact, combined with the tension from the chain, was enough to cause the swingarm to bend towards the front of the bike like a warm stick of butter. The rear wheel was smoking for a good five minutes after I stopped the bike. It was super-heated...

But I've been wondering, and maybe one of the more experienced people here can answer this question: why, exactly, would the loss of that spacer cause this to happen? A highly experienced motorcycle mechanic/drag racer named Mike Long of Odessa, TX took one look at it and told me that he bet it was missing a spacer, which made my heart sink because, well, I thought I remembered missing it, but I never really understood why that would cause this to happen. I remember eyeballing the sprockets/chain for alignment when I put it back together, and everything lined up, so I thought it was good. All the spacer'd do, it seems, would move the wheel about a half inch to the right, which doesn't seem like it'd be enough to make that much of a difference. Maybe because the wheel was misaligned, the tension from the chain would have been pulling the wheel to one side,which would put excess pressure on one side of the bearings, eventually causing the bearing to go kaput, create a ton of heat, and nuke my hub? And maybe, in more temperate climes, the excess heat from that slight misalignment would be dissipated, but maybe that 105 ambient Texas heat was just enough to push it over the edge into meltdown territory?

Karson, I'd gladly post a pic of that spacer, but it's about 2k miles away back in GA, probably rolling around somewhere on my driveway.

But if you want to check, just go look at the sprocket side of your rear wheel, and, if I remember correctly, you should see a dust cup that covers the bearing with a 1/2" or so spacer between that and the swingarm.

But why did it last 3500 miles before grenading? Hmmm... Actually, I tightened the chain the day before this happened, and I did put a little more torque on the axle nut than usual... guess that little bit of extra torque plus the heat might have been all it took to kaput the whole deal, which had been wearing away since I left home. What a stupid mistake!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

I've seen idiots ruin a swingarm when they forgot to put in a spacer and the bolts ate through the swingarm.

But straight up melting it? That takes serious balls
Old 05-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Damn - not so sure I'd advertise doing something that dumb
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Damn - not so sure I'd advertise doing something that dumb
There was another thread where he was looking for help locating a swingarm, there was no hiding the fact that your got all screwed up
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

How the F did he think his tire was lined up in first place after he put the tire/rim back on??? WOW... this is why some people should just have dealerships do their work to their cars/bikes.

But if you're dumb enough to do above, you're dumb enough to not notice that for 3500 miles either.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
How the F did he think his tire was lined up in first place after he put the tire/rim back on??? WOW... this is why some people should just have dealerships do their work to their cars/bikes.

But if you're dumb enough to do above, you're dumb enough to not notice that for 3500 miles either.
I would imagine that the rear would wobble pretty bad, but at the same time I can see how if yo ignore a new wobble or sound that is ignored for a few miles can turn into a normal feeling.

This is also the reason that when I'm doing vehicluar work I put stuff like nuts and bolts and spacers in either a magnetic tray or a small plastic shop box
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I use a muffin pan... bigger than an ice cube tray. Plus it's metal.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote