Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I bought seals for mine here: www.powersportspro.com

Dirt cheap "rebuild" and the brakes work as good as new.
Didnt see anything on there for the aprilia. I e-mailed them and AF1 about the kits so I will see what they say on monday.

Its still dragging prety good so when I get it home this morning I will break out the simple green and karens toothbrush and clean them out.

I hosed the bike off on friday and it left a huge amout of dirt/concrete dust in the driveway. the front end had a lot of crap caked on there so I wouldnt be surprised if something got in there.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Its still dragging prety good so when I get it home this morning I will break out the simple green and karens toothbrush and clean them out.
Awesome

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Why the fuck are you riding your bike in wet concrete you silly goose?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Why the fuck are you riding your bike in wet concrete you silly goose?
we have a clinic on a big construction site so the service road in and out of there is prety mesy
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Could also be the fork alignment. When replacing the front wheel, the axle bolts could be tightened too much. Or a spacer in the wrong position. The bottom of the forks would then be closer together than the top. This binds the fork movement up and down, and could cause the calipers to bind.

I measured the distance between forks on my old Suzuki decades ago with a set of calipers. I had to shim the axle to get the fork distance perfect, and the rotors equal distance from the forks. I haven't had to replace the fork seals on it in 45K miles. And the brake pads just skim the rotors. But I bet if I took out those shims, the brake pads would bind against the rotors, and the forks would bind.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Could also be the fork alignment. When replacing the front wheel, the axle bolts could be tightened too much. Or a spacer in the wrong position. The bottom of the forks would then be closer together than the top. This binds the fork movement up and down, and could cause the calipers to bind.

I measured the distance between forks on my old Suzuki decades ago with a set of calipers. I had to shim the axle to get the fork distance perfect, and the rotors equal distance from the forks. I haven't had to replace the fork seals on it in 45K miles. And the brake pads just skim the rotors. But I bet if I took out those shims, the brake pads would bind against the rotors, and the forks would bind.

But would that happen out of nowhere? I replaced the steering head bearings at the start of the season and the front wheel bearings soon after. I have about 5k on the clock so far this season and it just started up a few days ago after an oil change. I didnt touch the front end though.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

just heard from af1. they tell me neither brembo or aprilia makes a rebuild kit and that you need to buy a new caliper. Unfrekin believable.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
just heard from af1. they tell me neither brembo or aprilia makes a rebuild kit and that you need to buy a new caliper. Unfrekin believable.
What?

That sounds like bullshit. Give me the specs on your bike, and I'll see if I can come up with something.

JC
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
That's a load of horse shit

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #20
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
What?

That sounds like bullshit. Give me the specs on your bike, and I'll see if I can come up with something.

JC
Thanx, a local friend is lookin ginto soem stuf ffor me already, he deals with ducati and some of the other euro manufacturers. if he doesnt come through I will reach out.

its going ot be a hectic week on my end though so Iwill see what happens