Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Throwing it away was more cost effective than paying a better wage to harvest it? Zero sympathy...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

You want a welfare check, motherfucker?

Show me some dirty hands from you out harvesting crops....I hear there are jobs available doing THAT.

What?!

Too good to get your hands dirty? FUCK OFF then....no slopping out of the public trough for you.

Simple.

Last edited by KSGregman; 06-22-2011 at 03:18 PM..
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Guest worker programme. Works for us.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

"According to survey of 230 Georgia farmers conducted by Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black, farmers expect to need more than 11,000 workers at some point over the rest of the season, a number that probably underestimates the real need, since not every farmer in the state responded to the survey."

Ok, so lets tally up:

11,000 workers needed, @ 50 per bus, = 220 buses, 220 bus drivers, and 1100 guards.

Lets say bus drivers make 10 bucks an hour, and armed guards 15 bucks per hour. Based on a ten hour day, that's $187,000 a day.

Plus gas.

Plus meals on site for convicts, (you're going to need more buses).

Shit, now you need more gas too.

Fuck.

But hey, since all of Georgia's farms are just minutes from the nearest prison, no problem...

Shit, I forgot, you think twice the number of workers needed, will have to be supplied,(since criminals are lazy, and not trained in farm work) so that's 22,000 convicts, on 440 buses, 440 drivers and 2,200 guards.

$374,000 per day.

Plus gas...

Let's say the average drive distance to Old McDonalds place, is 100 miles. That's 88,000 miles each way per day. Bus burns what, 10 mpg if you're lucky? That's another $30,800 per day in diesel.

Plus tires, maintenance etc.

Lets say it all adds up to 425,000 a day in cost to the state.

All you need now, are the 440 secured prisoner buses, since people aren't going to be too happy if you are driving criminals around in regular buses.

At the 3 bucks a hour you want to charge for the convicts, the state is still making a bit of profit.

Shit, one more problem. Who's going to organize all this shit? You need administrators, dispatchers and, uh-oh, medics. You need at least one medic per job site, since it's the states responsibility to provide health care for inmates.

Add all that up, and toss in some more money for legal counsel (because you know damn well somebody is going to sue somebody when this plan takes a shit) and before you know it, we're losing money on this deal.

Damn, I forgot one one thing. How many inmates are going to want to volunteer for back breaking labor in the sun? What's the plan when they tell you to go fuck yourself? Shoot them?

Shit won't work dude. Nice try.

JC
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
"According to survey of 230 Georgia farmers conducted by Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black, farmers expect to need more than 11,000 workers at some point over the rest of the season, a number that probably underestimates the real need, since not every farmer in the state responded to the survey."

Ok, so lets tally up:

11,000 workers needed, @ 50 per bus, = 220 buses, 220 bus drivers, and 1100 guards.

Lets say bus drivers make 10 bucks an hour, and armed guards 15 bucks per hour. Based on a ten hour day, that's $187,000 a day.

Plus gas.

Plus meals on site for convicts, (you're going to need more buses).

Shit, now you need more gas too.

Fuck.

But hey, since all of Georgia's farms are just minutes from the nearest prison, no problem...

Shit, I forgot, you think twice the number of workers needed, will have to be supplied,(since criminals are lazy, and not trained in farm work) so that's 22,000 convicts, on 440 buses, 440 drivers and 2,200 guards.

$374,000 per day.

Plus gas...

Let's say the average drive distance to Old McDonalds place, is 100 miles. That's 88,000 miles each way per day. Bus burns what, 10 mpg if you're lucky? That's another $30,800 per day in diesel.

Plus tires, maintenance etc.

Lets say it all adds up to 425,000 a day in cost to the state.

All you need now, are the 440 secured prisoner buses, since people aren't going to be too happy if you are driving criminals around in regular buses.

At the 3 bucks a hour you want to charge for the convicts, the state is still making a bit of profit.

Shit, one more problem. Who's going to organize all this shit? You need administrators, dispatchers and, uh-oh, medics. You need at least one medic per job site, since it's the states responsibility to provide health care for inmates.

Add all that up, and toss in some more money for legal counsel (because you know damn well somebody is going to sue somebody when this plan takes a shit) and before you know it, we're losing money on this deal.

Damn, I forgot one one thing. How many inmates are going to want to volunteer for back breaking labor in the sun? What's the plan when they tell you to go fuck yourself? Shoot them?

Shit won't work dude. Nice try.

JC
Now you know why The South didn't want to give up on slavery.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
How many inmates are going to want to volunteer for back breaking labor in the sun? What's the plan when they tell you to go fuck yourself? Shoot them?
I don't disagree with you about prisoners not being the ideal solution to this problem.

However, I'm sure Georgia has an AMPLE welfare role.

They don't want to "volunteer" for work out in the sun? Want to tell me to go fuck myself?

No problem....my plan is elegant in it's simplicity.

I'd just say "I'll see you again in a week at most when you and your kids are hungry. Want a check? Get to work."

I know the whole work for a paycheck concept is out of fashion in this country, what with the entitlement culture gone amock....but honestly, hard work truly WAS what this Country was founded...and prospered on.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I don't disagree with you about prisoners not being the ideal solution to this problem.

However, I'm sure Georgia has an AMPLE welfare role.

They don't want to "volunteer" for work out in the sun? Want to tell me to go fuck myself?

No problem....my plan is elegant in it's simplicity.

I'd just say "I'll see you again in a week at most when you and your kids are hungry. Want a check? Get to work."

I know the whole work for a paycheck concept is out of fashion in this country, what with the entitlement culture gone amock....but honestly, hard work truly WAS what this Country was founded...and prospered on.
As much as I would love to see something like this happen, the same logistics problems apply to welfare mothers as they do to inmates, only with the added problem of child care.

JC
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Throwing it away was more cost effective than paying a better wage to harvest it? Zero sympathy...
Crop Insurance??

Farmers still got paid even with their crop rotting the the fields if they cover labor problems.

It's likely the consumers who got screwed here.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Fuck... I accidentally deleted my response...

Short of it...

Your estimate = $425,000/day cost for the state
$3/hr, 22,000 inmates, 10/hr day = $660,000/day

Net $235,000/day for the state...

Admin cost - ~34 state penetentaries, 10 admins in each, $75k/yr salaries (avg) = $25,500,000... worst case scenario - 5 day work weeks with the big 5 holidays off... 255 days or $100,000/day

Net $35,000/day for the state...

Initial bus cost - 440 buses @ $100k/ea = $44,000,000 - use the $35k/day to pay back that initial cost... keeping with the 255 day/working year factor -buses would be paid for in 5 years...

And you know damn full well that hourly rate will creep up... Make that $4 per hour and the farmers are still right where they left off and you could have those buses paid off in about 6 months.

Now what were you saying again?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote