Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Paul,
My reply wasn't aimed at you. You responded while I was typing my novel.
NP,

Didn't think you were responding to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Turbo Ghost,

Everyone brings out the motorcycle comparison and it's a completely invalid one. A motorcycle, of whatever type, has as it's primary purpose for being the transportation of a person. The primary function of a firearm is to project a bullet at sufficient velocity to kill. Comparisons like that are a big reason why I say that Americans MUST change their view of firearms.

Fewer guns is as much of a problem? Sorry, but I can't agree. Just who is training and regulating the 'militia'?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399340_400515513357735_1458725421_n.jpg (39.4 KB, 31 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

They are different but, when it comes to wants and needs, the comparison is valid especially when in a life or death situation you will want more power from both your bike and your gun.
Who's training the militia (us)? That's the exact problem I refered to earlier. Generations before us were actually trained by those in the know and those skills were passed down from parent to child but, over the last several generations, that skill and respect has disappeared. Even here in the South it's waning terribly. When I was young, after school there would be a mass of youths heading into the woods to hunt squirrels. There would literally be dozens of us within a mile or less. No one ever got hurt or even hinted at hurting anyone. We were taught by our parents how to handle guns and the responsibility that goes along with the potential of a gun.
I personally was amazed at how much pressure and responsibility I felt once I received my carry permit. It is entirely possible I may be someone's (or my own) last line of defense in a bad situation. Before I could carry, I always felt responsible for the care of others if needed but, I feel it more so now.
I actually feel a bit guilty for not actually carrying yet. I'm usually the most calm and level-headed in any situation. Nothing rattles me. (titties don't count) and I've always been able to talk my way out of every bad situation I've encountered and I believe I will be able to continue that tradition. However, IF I can't, I do have another option. I hope it never comes to that and it probably won't but, ya never know.

So, how exactly ARE we supposed to change our view of firearms? What are we supposed to be thinking? How should we view them?
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Paul,
That's funny. "It's funny cause it's true!": Homer Simpson
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Turbo Ghost,

Everyone brings out the motorcycle comparison and it's a completely invalid one. A motorcycle, of whatever type, has as it's primary purpose for being the transportation of a person. The primary function of a firearm is to project a bullet at sufficient velocity to kill. Comparisons like that are a big reason why I say that Americans MUST change their view of firearms.
How is the primary purpose of an object relevant in regards to the number of deaths it causes? Or, to frame the question differently, what makes the thousands of deaths by motor vehicles more acceptable than the thousands of deaths by firearms?

Nobody is really talking about doing away with assault rifles, or any other types of firearms. The discussion is about disallowing their private ownership. I think that makes the question of all types of motor vehicles a valid question. If you aim to reduce the number of deaths attributed to firearms by restricting their possession and operation to professional organizations (police, security guards, etc.), then where is the push to restrict the possession and operation of motor vehicles to professional organizations (taxis, busses)? By the numbers, motor vehicles are far more deadly machines. Disallowing their private ownership would go a long way toward reducing those fatalities. Is convenience of transportation really worth a life?

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
How is the primary purpose of an object relevant in regards to the number of deaths it causes? Or, to frame the question differently, what makes the thousands of deaths by motor vehicles more acceptable than the thousands of deaths by firearms?
How is it relevant? Because it shows a peculiar mindset.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
How is it relevant? Because it shows a peculiar mindset.
Mindset has no real bearing on the end result, when the end result is death. What does it matter what a person's intent was if they run over a pedestrian? Sure, you address intent in court, when doling out punishment if it is appropriate. But it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the dead pedestrian that the motorist only bought that car to get to work. To the dead guy's family, he's just as dead as if he had been riddled with bullets.

So what makes the 41k or so deaths due to privately owned motor vehicles less of an issue than the 31k or so deaths due to privately owned firearms?* By the way, half of those 31k firearm deaths were suicides.

*2007 numbers, easiest I could find on Google

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I've only ever really heard them called guns, firearms, or specific types (pistol, handgun, rifle).

I could definitely get behind this. I don't have any problem with regulation, just outright banning.

I can get behind this for firearms and motor vehicles. I'm all for states' rights, but in both cases there is too much interstate travel / commerce involved. There needs to be one standard for each, coast to coast.
You haven't heard people refer to their firearms as their 'tools' or 'toys'? You haven't heard people refer to their guns in a way that makes you think that you could easily substitute the word 'toy'? I've heard both, from far too many people, and on far too many occasions. Not just in the US, while primarily there, but also less often in Canada where we have the sort of controls, some of which I: would recommend for your people.

I'm glad to see that you would agree with my on those two fronts. It's rather refreshing to read.

Quote:
Mindset has no real bearing on the end result, when the end result is death. What does it matter what a person's intent was if they run over a pedestrian? Sure, you address intent in court, when doling out punishment if it is appropriate. But it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the dead pedestrian that the motorist only bought that car to get to work. To the dead guy's family, he's just as dead as if he had been riddled with bullets.

So what makes the 41k or so deaths due to privately owned motor vehicles less of an issue than the 31k or so deaths due to privately owned firearms?* By the way, half of those 31k firearm deaths were suicides.

*2007 numbers, easiest I could find on Google
Once again, you're thinking on the wrong end of the equation. You're talking about what happens after the fact. I'm talking about trying to prevent the incident in the first place. From that point of view, mindset has a massive effect.

You're also minimizing the issue by making another invalid comparison; vehicular deaths to firearms deaths. In the United States there are roughly enough firearms to put one in the hands of every citizen over the age of 16 (rough estimate, based on the approximation that there are about 200,000 privately owned firearms in the US). Given that the majority of gun owners have more than one weapon, and that they are unlikely to all be taken out on a daily basis for their intended purpose, they are relatively unlikely to be involved in an incident. And yet they are.

On the flip-side of that you have road- going vehicles, the majority of which are used on a daily basis for their intended purpose. For this reason they are more likely to be involved in incidents resulting in death. Want a more valid comparison? Compare the number of wilful deaths resulting from both things and yes, a suicide is a wilful death.

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 12-28-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Sad how all the news agencys keep referring to an AR as the weapon used to kill all the kids, fact is that he used handguns, the ar was still in the car

We need to ban assault weapons, though handguns killed more people in Chicago!
Who am I?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote