Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default world sports

how much would we effect the Olympics if we banned competitors from training in the USA/attending USA colleges seems like a lot of competitors use our resources. Kinda like the Chinese do in keeping their training in house only. Olympics don't mean much here and I know this will never happen, but just think of it as hypothetical if we went after it hard.

Include our pro leagues as this. Foreign competitors would be banned from them.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
how much would we effect the Olympics if we banned competitors from training in the USA/attending USA colleges seems like a lot of competitors use our resources. Kinda like the Chinese do in keeping their training in house only. Olympics don't mean much here and I know this will never happen, but just think of it as hypothetical if we went after it hard.

The NHL would go to shit if we kept out the Europeans and Canadians.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

First of all, the NHL isn't YOUR league and many countries have their own leagues at stuff. Maybe not the same quality but neither would yours be if you didn't "allow" international flavour in there.

It's a business. They're paying for it. Lots of athletes train in Canada regardless of what country they're competing in. They're paying for that privelege.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Even though it's headquarters are in New York and there is more American teams, the NHL wouldn't be part of this hypothetical. It started off as a Canadian league, so we wouldn't include this league in the hypothetical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
First of all, the NHL isn't YOUR league and many countries have their own leagues at stuff. Maybe not the same quality but neither would yours be if you didn't "allow" international flavour in there.

It's a business. They're paying for it. Lots of athletes train in Canada regardless of what country they're competing in. They're paying for that privelege.
Wow, epic fail. It's a fucking hypothetical and I already said it was never going to happen.

Obviously we would lose a lot of athletes, but overall the in nation quality would rise to fill the void left and the international world wouldn't have access to our high dollar training facilities. Team sports make up very little of the medals, where it would really change some things is the individual sports. Tons of athletes train in our college system. If we focused on medals much more so than we do now, we could rise to meet the chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 02-26-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:

I didn't say the NHL was "ours" although it's headquarters is in NYC. My point was that if the US NHL teams didn't allow foreign players the entire NHL would go to shit so I really agree with you on that part. It would water down the league too much.

The other pro sports it doesn't matter because we don't have a huge influx of foreign born athletes in those sports, although it seems the NBA has been getting a lot of European players lately.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Wow, epic fail. It's a fucking hypothetical and I already said it was never going to happen.

Obviously we would lose a lot of athletes, but overall the quality would rise and the international world wouldn't have access to our high dollar training facilities. Team sports make up very little of the medals, where it would really change some things is the individual sports. Tons of athletes train in our college system.
Fair enough. I kind of went off on a tangent there.

Okay well hypothetically, I think it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the US athletes (unless they were only allowed to train in house), and although there might be *some* effect on other nations....I think it'd be very minimal. Coaches would travel to train.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I didn't say the NHL was "ours" although it's headquarters is in NYC. My point was that if the US NHL teams didn't allow foreign players the entire NHL would go to shit so I really agree with you on that part. It would water down the league too much.

The other pro sports it doesn't matter because we don't have a huge influx of foreign born athletes in those sports, although it seems the NBA has been getting a lot of European players lately.
The Big Four sports in America (Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey; I don't really count hockey as a big sport cause it's only you northern fools who like that shit, kinda like NASCAR for the south) only make up 2-3 medals depending on if baseball/basketball is in the olympics. They don't have an impact anyway.

Quote:
Fair enough. I kind of went off on a tangent there.

Okay well hypothetically, I think it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the US athletes (unless they were only allowed to train in house), and although there might be *some* effect on other nations....I think it'd be very minimal. Coaches would travel to train.
If the US changed focus from team sports (impossible) and built a fence around their training programs like China, I think you would see a huge difference. The USA right now doesn't really give a damn about the olympics 90% of the time, if there was a drive countrywide to compete like the Chinese, I bet we would see a difference.

Basically, I think Chinese will own both olympics before long. They are doing what Russians did when they were communist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 02-26-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
No shit. You have 10X the amount of people we do, and we make up over 50% of it! (was over 70% in the '70s though, were slipping)

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
If the US changed focus from team sports (impossible) and built a fence around their training programs like China, I think you would see a huge difference. The USA right now doesn't really give a damn about the olympics 90% of the time, if there was a drive countrywide to compete like the Chinese, I bet we would see a difference.

Basically, I think Chinese will own both olympics before long. They are doing what Russians did when they were communist.
I see your point. I'm not in the US though so I wasn't aware that team sports aren't a big deal.

You do alright in individual medals though no?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Katherine
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 07 CBR 600RR

Quote:

Take it a step further. What if athletes could only play for their closest local team?

Last edited by Katherine; 02-26-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote