Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #201
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
ok... what if the truck was pulling out of the drive way? he's impeeding traffic... and caused an accident...

yes... if the cop was stopped... he would be at fault. I don't know about MI... but in oregon... if you are broke down on the road... YOU MUST move the vehicle completely off the road... if you cannot get the vehcle completely off the road... YOU MUST PLACE FLAIRS AND/OR REFLECTIVE MARKERS 50 Yards before to warn drivers. and before you start picking this apart... the law actually says vehicles IMPEEDING TRAFFIC... ie broken down, blocking the road, or slow moving vehciles (they can get away with flashers as they have to be visible from >50yards)

so really it depends on the states...

he's backing up on a public road with out a warning to traffic... how is it not?
Did you overlook the deer example purposely? The truck was backing up...he was already well covering both lanes for a good amount of time..he didn't just pull out in front all of the sudden.

You seem to think you have a right to do the speed limit with nothing in front stopping you. Wrong. You need to yield to the vehicle in front.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #202
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Did you overlook the deer example purposely? The truck was backing up...he was already well covering both lanes for a good amount of time..he didn't just pull out in front all of the sudden.

You seem to think you have a right to do the speed limit with nothing in front stopping you. Wrong. You need to yield to the vehicle in front.
But if the vehicle in front is stopped and especially if they know theyll be blocking the road for some time, put up flares, have someone warning drivers, etc.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #203
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
But if the vehicle in front is stopped and especially if they know theyll be blocking the road for some time, put up flares, have someone warning drivers, etc.

I'm sorry but the driver of the moving vehicle has a responsibility to operate it in such a way to avoid obstacles in the road. There was an argument that if a driver in front of you suddenly slammed on his brakes and you rear ended him, would it be your fault? The answer is yes of course it is. The rule is always to drive at speed which allows you to stop in the distance you can see ahead. If you can only see 20' in front of you, you should drive slow enough to be able to stop in 20'. Regardless of the posted speed limit. This rule is applied to adverse driving conditions and is called "driving too fast for conditions". Because the pavement was damp and Ed couldn't see very far, he should have slowed down until he crested that hill and could see farther ahead. Anyway, I'm very glad that he's okay, and per the other thread, that he's getting another bike!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #204
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
I think that the truck was pulling in a driveway... as someone who has driven a large truck. It can sometimes take a minute to get lined up and pull in. Quite frankly, there isn't a "time limit" as to how long I'm allowed to take to pull in. I can drift it in at high speed or I can come to a complete stop, signal and idle it in if I want. The people coming down the road behind me should be operating their vehicles in such a way to be able to deal with it. I'm frankly not sure why a truck driver doesn't have a right to back into a driveway to make a delivery...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #205
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post

and did you ignore the law I posted? (wish I could find the actual verbage)

again I don't know about Michigan... but in Oregon... if your going to impeed traffic you need to have some sort of warning... ie flairs, reflective markers, people signaling... ect.

and IIRC... impeding traffic is doing 15mph(or so) UNDER the limit...

let me see if I can find that law
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #206
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Tigger: 1
Ebbs: 0

LOL

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM