Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

My advice would be to go with the RC, but then again I'm biased. I have an RC in the garage and about 50% of an RC worth of parts in the spare room.

For a 20min round trip commute, you're not gonna have a probably with the RCs stock ergos. Once (if) you start with the mods, those ergos could turn against you i.e. raised rear height/lowered front. But if the bike you pick up is stock, then your biggest obstacle is gonna be the seat. But like I said, if it's only 10 min to work, you're not gonna notice it. However, be warned, the RC has side mount radiators and it does not like going slow, first the mufflers (which are under your ass) will get hot, then the frame (the rear cylinder is between your knees right under the fuel tank and pointed at your testicles) and finally the frame and radiators. If your commute even has close to moderate traffic then she'll start to get hot, but she'll cool right down once you get into more open air. You're gonna need to slip the clutch until at least 15 mph (I've gotta slip mine 'til about 20-25). Aside from all that, the RC is a blast. I love it and will never badmouth it (wasn't badmouthing, just stating truth).

I can't speak for the Suzuki, but the RC gives me a chubby.

What do you want more two big jugs or 4 small(ish) ones?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
My advice would be to go with the RC, but then again I'm biased. I have an RC in the garage and about 50% of an RC worth of parts in the spare room.

For a 20min round trip commute, you're not gonna have a probably with the RCs stock ergos. Once (if) you start with the mods, those ergos could turn against you i.e. raised rear height/lowered front. But if the bike you pick up is stock, then your biggest obstacle is gonna be the seat. But like I said, if it's only 10 min to work, you're not gonna notice it. However, be warned, the RC has side mount radiators and it does not like going slow, first the mufflers (which are under your ass) will get hot, then the frame (the rear cylinder is between your knees right under the fuel tank and pointed at your testicles) and finally the frame and radiators. If your commute even has close to moderate traffic then she'll start to get hot, but she'll cool right down once you get into more open air. You're gonna need to slip the clutch until at least 15 mph (I've gotta slip mine 'til about 20-25). Aside from all that, the RC is a blast. I love it and will never badmouth it (wasn't badmouthing, just stating truth).

I can't speak for the Suzuki, but the RC gives me a chubby.

What do you want more two big jugs or 4 small(ish) ones?
That paragraph describing the heat sounds exactly like the heat of a Buell.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Get the RC-51 while there are still running examples\ non basket cases available.
Busa is still a great bike...
I agree. Clean RC-51s will only become more difficult to find. Get the RC now while you still can. You can always get a Busa later and there are plenty of them.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
That paragraph describing the heat sounds exactly like the heat of a Buell.
The only real difference between the heat of the XB and the RC is that the Buell has a belly exhaust and the RC has the twin tailpipes. Other than that, the heat is VERY similar.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
Old 08-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
The only real difference between the heat of the XB and the RC is that the Buell has a belly exhaust and the RC has the twin tailpipes. Other than that, the heat is VERY similar.
Right. But damn that rear cylinder starts ROASTING my fucking nuts in slow traffic. Not to mention the heat spewing from the headers on the right side.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Right. But damn that rear cylinder starts ROASTING my fucking nuts in slow traffic. Not to mention the heat spewing from the headers on the right side.
I know your pain dude, I was riding with Rae once trying to help a teach a new rider. Long story short I had to pull back a little bit to stand up on the pegs and let my balls cool down some. Rae almost burned her hand on just the frame rail. I'm just glad there wasn't a cop around so I didn't have explain to boiling testicles. And don't get me started on slow ass cagers in traffic hogging all the damn air...
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

RC as a commuter?

I've owned both. Still have the VFR, probably always will - put ~$4k in goodies to get the RC 'right' (mostly suspension) & ~15k miles (incl. several trackdays) on it & then moved on. The RC is a very sweet, very unique, downright visceral ride. But happy tooling around town at low speeds it is NOT.

- The motor likes to be ON or OFF throttle, and tends to stumble & lurch at slight throttle opening.
- The side mounted radiators guarantee that it gets HOT, FAST at low speed, and as Mike & Marko pointed out, a lot of that heat goes straight to your nuts. It was bad in NC summer heat - I imagine Houston would be much worse.
- The ergos aren't bad for a race replica, but for just cruising around/commuting, it's a torture-rack compared to the VFR or a more 'street oriented' bike.
- The turning radius is pretty bad, largely due to the big bulbous tank which tends to make you contort your arms to get it to full-lock.
- Fuel mileage/range sucks. I averaged 32~35mpg on the street & as low as ~20mpg track.

In summary: as a weekend-warrior/track-duty bike - hell yeah, but as a commuter bike to replace a Viffer - put down the crack pipe!

But if you do get one, throw on a set of Sato low-mounts and then prepare to enjoy all the WTF?!? looks from the Harley guys!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

I saw/heard one rumble through State College this week. Didn't see what kind of cans in had, but man did it sound good.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
RC as a commuter?

I've owned both. Still have the VFR, probably always will - put ~$4k in goodies to get the RC 'right' (mostly suspension) & ~15k miles (incl. several trackdays) on it & then moved on. The RC is a very sweet, very unique, downright visceral ride. But happy tooling around town at low speeds it is NOT.

- The motor likes to be ON or OFF throttle, and tends to stumble & lurch at slight throttle opening.
- The side mounted radiators guarantee that it gets HOT, FAST at low speed, and as Mike & Marko pointed out, a lot of that heat goes straight to your nuts. It was bad in NC summer heat - I imagine Houston would be much worse.
- The ergos aren't bad for a race replica, but for just cruising around/commuting, it's a torture-rack compared to the VFR or a more 'street oriented' bike.
- The turning radius is pretty bad, largely due to the big bulbous tank which tends to make you contort your arms to get it to full-lock.
- Fuel mileage/range sucks. I averaged 32~35mpg on the street & as low as ~20mpg track.

In summary: as a weekend-warrior/track-duty bike - hell yeah, but as a commuter bike to replace a Viffer - put down the crack pipe!

But if you do get one, throw on a set of Sato low-mounts and then prepare to enjoy all the WTF?!? looks from the Harley guys!
it won't replace the viffer, just be alongside........

most of my commute is open hwy w/ very little traffic at this time.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Both are good...just different. Tough choice...well not for some I'm sure. The Busa would be better in the long run for the commute most likely BUT man...I really like the RC51.
I agree 100%. Is comfort important to you? If so, go for the Busa. The RC51 is just a flippin fantastic bike, but it's NOT comfortable, and it runs wayyyy hot. The Busa is a Cadillac on 2 wheels.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote