Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default XT250 vs Super Sherpa vs KLX250S vs CRF230L

Might have to buy a quarter-liter dual sport. Prefer an air-cooled bike, but I'm finding good deals on all of the above.

From what I've gathered, the KLX and CRF are the most dirt worthy, the Sherpa is the most highway capable with the smoothest engine and best street gearing, and the XT is the easiest to maintain. At 200cc, I'm not including the Suzuki DR in the running.

I'm leaning towards the Sherpa with a high front fender conversion. I'd be buying the bike for an 85/15% mix of street/trail; mostly commuting to work, school, and back. Givi hard case kits are available for all four of these machines.

I've found some pretty awesome deals on low mileage 2005 KLR250's as well.

Thoughts?

Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I would seriously look at the WR250, it's not air cooled, but I think it's a nicer dual sport and would be a great hardcore dirt bike.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

If your split is 85/15 street/dirt... why is your heart set on machines that will be so lacking on the street?

Just an observation, I'm sure you have reasons... on the surface it just doesn't make sense to me.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
The WR's seat height is WAY too tall for my midget's inseam. I'm finding 08 and 09 KLX, KL, CRF, and XT bikes with less than 500 miles on them for $3K and under. Similar WR's are listing for $4500 and up.

I don't need outstanding performance. I want efficiency and durability. What little time I spend in the woods will be slow-speed adventure touring. Sight-seeing and camping, mostly.
KLR 650? If you are going to be slabbing it at all, you're life will probably much saner with more displacement. What you are saying seems like what I hear everyone say before they ride home on a KLR 650.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I'd focus on the xt or the sherpa. Those seem to be the choice around here if you aren't into the wr.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would seriously look at the WR250, it's not air cooled, but I think it's a nicer dual sport and would be a great hardcore dirt bike.
The WR's seat height is WAY too tall for my midget's inseam. I'm finding 08 and 09 KLX, KL, CRF, and XT bikes with less than 500 miles on them for $3K and under. Similar WR's are listing for $4500 and up.

I don't need outstanding performance. I want efficiency and durability. What little time I spend in the woods will be slow-speed adventure touring. Sight-seeing and camping, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
If your split is 85/15 street/dirt... why is your heart set on machines that will be so lacking on the street?
I may not spend much time on the trail, but I want competence when I do.

I'm open to the motard versions of these bikes as well. For example:

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF Motard - $2995

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
KLR 650? If you are going to be slabbing it at all, you're life will probably much saner with more displacement. What you are saying seems like what I hear everyone say before they ride home on a KLR 650.
I've given the big KLR a lot of thought. It makes more sense for carrying a passenger, too. But, it is heavy, and it is tall. I don't think the mountain trails around here would be tolerant of such a big bike (at least, not with a relative novice like myself at the controls).
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I've given the big KLR a lot of thought. It makes more sense for carrying a passenger, too. But, it is heavy, and it is tall. I don't think the mountain trails around here would be tolerant of such a big bike (at least, not with a relative novice like myself at the controls).
Yeah, after learning on a DRZ and seeing whats out there and hearing Derf pretty much describe the 650 as a DRZ clone, I wouldn't look at the DRZ400 or KLR650 ever again. Stuff like the Wee Strom/Versys/other more comfort DS touring bikes make more sense if you aren't going to be riding really tough trails. If you can fit on a WR (which you say you can't), it's where it's at for more hardcore dirt and has a 6th gear for street. The XT and Sherpa are decent and light, so they would be ok. They will not like being on the highway at all though.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The XT and Sherpa are decent and light, so they would be ok. They will not like being on the highway at all though.
I've read that the Sherpa is the smoothest-running of all the 250 dual sports, that it cruises at 70 mph even easier than the liquid-cooled KLX. That said, I would still avoid the expressway whenever possible. Such speeds are obviously not within any of these bikes' comfort zones.

I like the looks of the XT best:

The Sherpa has better build quality, apparently. Things that are bare or painted steel on the Yamaha are stainless on the Kaw.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Guy just told me he'd take $2500:

HONDA CRF230L 2008 - $3500 (Franklin Ga)

Only 148 miles. Too bad the CRF is the smallest/weakest bike of the bunch. I hear a jet kit and drilling out the exhaust a bit really wakes it up, though...
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

You can try to justify the rest of them any way you please, but the bottom line is none of them are 1/2 the bike the WR250R is. I've got a friend here in town about 5' tall and he rides one. I know a few really short women who ride them, too. There are lowering options.

Used ones can be found for $3,500 if you look hard enough. Go cheap now and you'll wish you had spent the money later on.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote