Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

The bike lists for $6,300. $3k is a screamin' deal with less than 4k miles on it.

Mileage isn't bad . . . range is an issue with the stock tank. I get anywhere from low 50's to just over 60 mpg if I'm easy on it.

The tiny stock tank sucks ass, imo. I have the 3.5 gal Safari tank on mine and my life is so much better for it. I can actually ride past a gas station now
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Mileage isn't bad . . . range is an issue with the stock tank. I get anywhere from low 50's to just over 60 mpg if I'm easy on it.
By "mileage" I was actually referring to the odometer reading. Still not comfortable buying a bike with almost 4K miles on it.

I remember one of the bigger magazines road testing the WR and returning better than 70 mpg. Obviously, I'm after as high a number as possible. The air-cooled bikes discussed above are all extremely efficient. Fuel-injection on the WR will make winter mornings a bit easier, however...

Quote:
The tiny stock tank sucks ass, imo. I have the 3.5 gal Safari tank on mine and my life is so much better for it. I can actually ride past a gas station now.
Ouch. Might have to make do with stock:

Yamaha WR250R/X 3.5gal Safari Trail Tank
$449.99

The list of accessories already installed on this particular bike is pretty decent. He claims he has $8600 total invested. FMF Powerbomb header, FMF Q4 slip-on, Power Commander, Zeta handguards w/ signals, DRC tail light kit, etc. I wonder how necessary any of this is, and if I could recoup some of my purchase by just putting the stock pieces back on. I'm trying to find some dyno comparisons between stock and his set-up...
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

You'll like all of those mods. My friend put his on the dyno. Stock he got about 22hp and after these same mods he wound up with 26.8hp. Here is his dyno testing - http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/dynotesting

IMS just released a 3 gal tank that is quite a bit cheaper and doesn't have the added complexity of an auxilliary vacuum fuel pump. Here's some info on the IMS - http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh...ally-t2531.htm

Last edited by Krabill; 09-21-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #24
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
IMS just released a 3 gal tank that is quite a bit cheaper and doesn't have the added complexity of an auxilliary vacuum fuel pump. Here's some info on the IMS - http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh...ally-t2531.htm
Maybe I should hold out for the 4.5 gallon. Touring is one of my goals with this bike.

Only picture he's sent:

Can't make out much. Looks like I'll have to ride out and take a look in person.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

It'll tour, alright. I did 3,300 miles in a little over a week this summer including an iron butt - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595729

There is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock to drop the seat a little bit, you can decrease the shock pre-load a little to drop it even further and if that isn't enough, there are lowering links available.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #26
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
It'll tour, alright. I did 3,300 miles in a little over a week this summer including an iron butt - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595729
Cool trip. I'm originally from Flint, Michigan, and I've been to many of the places along your route.

Pictures made me homesick.

Quote:
There is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock to drop the seat a little bit, you can decrease the shock pre-load a little to drop it even further and if that isn't enough, there are lowering links available.
How tall are you and how do you fit the WR? I'm 5-foot-8 with a 30-ish inch inseam.

I'm not keen on lowering links or anything that alters factory geometry. Not unless absolutely necessary, anyway.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #27
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

I'm 5'-9" with a 30" inseam. I dropped the shock with the oem adjustment screw, but haven't messed with it other than that. As a matter of fact, I increased the spring pre-load a little bit for when I'm carrying luggage.

Here are a few shots to show you I fit just fine with my little 30" inseam . . .

This was from a beer chug race (that I won, btw)

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Same bike, just 326 miles, only $700 more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180563866650

Budget? What budget...
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Yeah, but this one doesn't have any of the goodies on it. Good if you must have an unmolested bike, but bad if you're on a budget. The other one had quite a bit of $$ already in upgrades that you'd have to spend if you wanted to really uncork this one.

Cheap upgrade list -

$20 AIS removal kit
$200 - FMF fuel injection tuner
free - open up the airbox
free - drill down through the exhaust to open it
free - (if you have a welder friend) - remove ex-up valve
~$100 - 47T rear sprocket and 110 link chain from rockymountain
$85 - skidplate (depending on if you ride in the rocks)

That much will get you a great running bike for as little as possible.

For touring -

$400 - Wolfman dry seal saddlebags/mounts
$250-450 - bigger gas tank
$30 - heated grips

I also bought a heated jacket, gloves, and a dual controller that set me back another $400, but since I ride year round it was money well spent.

Last edited by Krabill; 09-21-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
For touring -

$400 - Wolfman dry seal saddlebags/mounts
$250-450 - bigger gas tank
$30 - heated grips

I also bought a heated jacket, gloves, and a dual controller that set me back another $400, but since I ride year round it was money well spent.
I also ride year-round, but I've never used heated grips or gear. This may be the year that all changes. Georgia winters are usually pretty mild, but last year we saw about 60 days straight of sub-15 degree mornings. Naturally, those were the days my truck decided to break down, so I had no choice but to ride the motorcycle...

Regarding saddlebags, I'll be going with these:

Yamaha WR250R SU Side Rack

You can buy an entire kit with Givi E21 hard cases for $400. Not the most ideal set-up for tight trails, but overall the best option for everything else. Their racks will hold soft paniers, too, of course.