moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I ride over-insured. But then, my ” calculated risk” is high
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Benefit rides piss me off. Sorry, if you can't afford to pay for your funeral and the family you leave behind, your ass doesn't belong on a motorcycle, especially if you are a sportbike rider. I don't mind supporting charities/education in the name of someone though.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Don't forget to have a will! If both of you die you don't want the state raising your children if you have them.

I am glad this subject came up. I was going to start a similar thread at some point.

Lee, I've had similar thoughts over the years myself. Like many of you I've had umteen million people tell me to quit riding, that motorcycles are dangerous, and their brother, sister, cousin, friend, or mother died on a bike. I know that. I've crashed, had people behind me crash, all the same things most of us already know.

On August 5th my boyfriend was killed in an accident behind his home. He did not die riding. He had 3 children, 10, 8, and 6. We were planning a life together. Over the past 2 months I've watched his house gutted and things sold at auction, attended his funeral, and his truck is in my yard until we can get it sold.

This totally changed my perspective on everything.

3 weeks after his death I sold my bike. Once my son can support himself and doesn't need me so much I will most likely get another bike (if I'm not too old, haha.) I LOVE riding like I think all of us do. But I started thinking... Do I want my ex to have full reign on raising my son? HELL NO. My boyfriend Mark was very adventurous, an outdoorsman, pilot, rode dirt bikes, etc etc and his ex wife is a germaphobe type person who must have everything perfectly in place at all times. But he has no say in that anymore.

Life insurance is no replacement for life experience. His 2 youngest probably won't even remember him very much. They had a BRILLANT father and that pains me so much. Now their step-father - who my boyfriend hated - will be the one walking his daughters down the aisle and teaching his son how to be a man.

I'm not preaching, not really. Besides we've all heard this before. We all know that motorcycles are dangerous. We all know people who've died. I guess what I'm trying to say is take the best care you can, stop riding if you want to, wear your gear, have a WILL, have life insurance and make sure you do everything you possibly can to be around for those you love. You already know all that. So do I and so did Mark.

If this pissed you off, well I'm sorry. I rarely get on any sort of soapbox but I can't help it this time. It's just that after this happened and everything I've been through these past 2 months I realized that it's not about ME - it's about my responsibilities to my son. He needs me and your children need you too.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
I'm worth more dead than alive!

wait... don't tell the wife... she knows how to shoot!
This is me, only Erik knows it.

I on the other hand will be fine if something were to happen to him. I have him covered but won't get rich, will pay the bills and a little left over.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
t-homo
WSB Champion

At this point, I only have life coverage through work. No bills or anything so it is more than enough at this point. I'm pretty sure my parents have a policy for me from when I was young, basically enough to cover a funeral.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Milk, so sorry about your loss.

I have both a will and a living will. My older sister advised me, in not such a polite way, that she would fight my husband on what he might think were my wishes...

I am so much more afraid of dieing in the shower, I don't wear gear there. And, have been seriously injured there...
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Yep. I have life insurance, a will, a living will, a durable power of attorney, and a testamentary trust. All of these are set up specifically for my daughter's benefit (I'm not married and don't trust my daughter's mom with money, but want my daughter to be cared for properly). I also have a file folder titled, "If I die" and I have a listing of locations of all accounts...bank, stock, IRA, etc., what bills are auto drafted out of what accounts, where insurance policies are held, what attorny has the original copy of the will, POA, etc. It will be difficult enough for my family if I die, I want to make all the financial details as easy as possible for them.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Milk, so sorry about your loss.

I have both a will and a living will. My older sister advised me, in not such a polite way, that she would fight my husband on what he might think were my wishes...

I am so much more afraid of dieing in the shower, I don't wear gear there. And, have been seriously injured there...
I should get a living will too.

Thanks. It is such a terrible loss and has affected me in so many ways. My boyfriend had a dirt bike and had ridden on the street over the years too. He had just decided to sell the dirt bike too because he was ready to slow down a bit. The ironies of life can be so cruel sometimes.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

my first husband didn't have life insurance, we talked about it, looked at it, even had called about it, but hadn't settled on who and how much. It would have been easier when he died ( a whole lot) if he had, but at that point, I didn't really care and no amount of money would have made things " better"

Current hubby and I have insurance, both through work and privatly. We have thrown around a will for 16 months now ( since our son was born) but haven't contacted a lawyer yet. He still rides, I gave up my bike when I realized that I had more anxiety from it than joy. I worry when he rides, but I know he's very aware of what's going on around him and not at all a risk taker. He gets such joy out of it that although I gave it up, I can't ask him to, despite my anxiety about it.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I, too, am in the over-insurred minority. Given where I work, I've seen a lot of stuff that just tears my heart to pieces. I won't do that to my wife and daughter. If anything happens to me, they should be set for a while.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote