Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

The BMW heated grips rock my cock. Setting one is about all I can take, setting 2 is omg this is fucking hot unless it's too cold to even feel it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

That's what people say about the HD ones. But I don't have any... peeps do say that once you get a set, you'll use them more than you think when you don't have a set.

But this is for my FIL. He always asks me what to get... he knows that if I don't know myself, I know who to ask.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I use the Hotgrips on the Busa they are great but the stock controller has low and high setting iwich leaves you asking is this on, or saying dam that is hot. I have Oxfords on the B King they have a 4 position controller that is easy to adjut and were $70 for the complete kit. I agree BTW once you have the heated Grips you seem to wind up using them all the time.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

NNut... those seem to be complete grips. How long have you had them? I don't want to suggest something to FIL that ends up failing.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
NNut... those seem to be complete grips. How long have you had them? I don't want to suggest something to FIL that ends up failing.
I have had the Hot Grips for 4 years and the Oxfords for about a year. I use them about 4 months out of the year. Guys over on the SuzukiB-king.org have been running the Oxfords longer with no failures. Oxford also makes the under the Grip Wraps. We ran those on the wife's Victory from 04 till she sold it last year they worked well under the Kuryakyn ISO grips. they didn't get quite as warm as the Heated grips but I am guessing that was because of the thickness of the ISO's
Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

It looked like the hot grips & oxfords were the same thing when I searched them...

Run Amsoil Product
Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
It looked like the hot grips & oxfords were the same thing when I searched them...
I think I may have added to the confusion Hot Grips (two words) is a company and the Oxford Company calls their product Hotgrips (One word)
Hot Grips are a US made brand and at least on the Models I used the Hot Grips Model 475-875 increase grip diameter (think Harley sized grips on a Busa) As a Rule Hot grips come with a 2 position Heat Controller or for an additional $50 a dial type heat Controller. (see them at Hotgrips.com)
Oxfords are Imported and come with a 4 button controller. I am using their model OF696 Sports HotGrips I have looked they no longer seem to offer the under grip product (Or I am confused about the maker of what was on the Victory) In any case you can see the Oxford line at their sight www.oxprod.com
In any case I have had very good luck with the Hot Grip Product (4 years no blown fuses no taxing the charging system) My only whine is the 2 position controller so I wind up running them and playing with the switch when it is too hot or cold.
I have had the Oxfords for just under a year the large button switch with 4 heat positions is great it's down side is that it is a bit harder to hide if that matters. On the B King have it mounted to my RAM mount but some might might not like the look of it.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Ok, thanks for the explanation...

So you like them both equally?

The thing about what you are suggesting over the others, is that you have a good running track record with them. Ebbs wrap overs, which I like, and the aerostitch ones he linked... both have a high failure rate. I can't suggest that to FIL.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the explanation...

So you like them both equally?

The thing about what you are suggesting over the others, is that you have a good running track record with them. Ebbs wrap overs, which I like, and the aerostitch ones he linked... both have a high failure rate. I can't suggest that to FIL.
While I haven't had them as long I actually like the Oxfords better (better controls and a more conventional feeling texture) I don't believe you would go wrong with either set but if I were mounting on a new bike I would go with the Oxfords
Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

FWIW... I'm gonna pull the Oxford Hothands apart and re-solder them... I switched the grips where they plug into the switch and looks like that's where the failure is... worth the time...and honestly... if that is the big problem causing all the failures... an easy fix and still makes the product worth the $ IMO.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote