Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #31
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It is... the RSI and the S650 are "oval" but they aren't as "nice" as the RSR2
yeah I know... but the price is nicer...

thanks!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #32
Swan
Only 49% Creepy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Okay, my head's some kind of super-oval, and unfortunately I'm hating on Arai these days. When my Arai Profile needs replacing, what are my options?

From searching around, it seems like Shark might make some oval lids. Anyone know of other good ones out there?
Anthony,

I also have an extreme "long oval" head, and my Profile (I use it only for racing) is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

However, certain models of AGV helmet fit me very well. Models that I have confirmed to fit are the Daystar, V-Flyer, and V-Flyer II. These are outdated models now, but they are still available online (if you aren't picky about colors, you can often find a cheap one in the "outlet" section of denniskirk.com) and it's encouraging for AGV's other models. Sadly, I don't think there is an AGV dealer anywhere the Austin area, so it would likely have to be bought online, which will be a crapshoot. For whatever help it may be if you want to try, I wear a medium Arai Profile, and the medium AGV helmets fit, so at least the mediums seem to correspond between brands.

I once ran across a website for some budget brand or other that claimed their lids were fitted for the "European Head," and the accompanying diagrams seemed to imply that they meant "oval" heads by that. However, I've long since lost the website and forgotten the name of the helmet, and have been unable to find it again.

I'm always looking for alternatives, so let me know if you stumble onto something, okay?

-S
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #33
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Hmm I dunno... He fits Arai... in my experience it has always been if an Arai fits you well, Shoei is going to be the wrong shape, and vice versa.
That was true, but Arai built the Profile specifically for oval fit.
Shoei helmets fit me pretty well but do require some, um adjustment with a drinking glass in the forehead center.
The profile I tried on fit perfectly. Too bad about the price, and I don't think they have a hi-def type shield, which helps me with depth perception/closing speed accuracy.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #34
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
That was true, but Arai built the Profile specifically for oval fit.
Shoei helmets fit me pretty well but do require some, um adjustment with a drinking glass in the forehead center.
The profile I tried on fit perfectly. Too bad about the price, and I don't think they have a hi-def type shield, which helps me with depth perception/closing speed accuracy.
Ahh yeah, that makes sense then.

Bottom line is best thing to do is try on EVERYTHING, and remember that it has to be snug, almost annoyingly snug at the beginning, and it will break in to perfect. If it fits "Perfect" when you try it on, it is probably going to be too big once it breaks in.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Thanks all! Swan, I'll keep you posted.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote