Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R
Default Downed rider

Well, I came upon a downed rider late Thursday / early Friday. It was a disturbing situation.

My wife, a friend, and myself were headed home after a few beers around 1:00 a.m. Friday morning. My wife had the munchies, so we went through Wendy's drive through. While we were waiting, the friend said she heard a loud noise, but my wife nor I heard it. Sure enough, about 1/4 mile away, on our route home, a biker had been t-boned at a traffic light.

When we got on the scene, probably one to two minutes had passed after the accident. The intersection was four lanes on three sides with planted islands, and two lanes on one side. The biker was lying on his back in front of one of the islands. His bike was about 20 feet away, and a small, compact car was in the middle of the intersection. The car was fucked, with both air bags deployed. The bike was a large custom Harley, and it too was fucked. It was impossible to tell who did what, but obviously both vehicles went through the intersection at the same time at 90 degree angles.

No on to the bad part. The rider was lying on his back writhing in pain. There were about 6 people at the scene, just standing there looking. All the observers were younger kids, so they were pretty shocked. I blocked the road with my car, turned on the hazards, and ran to the guy. He was in his mid 40's, portly, but pretty average all things considered. The left side of his body, which took the brunt of the blow, was pulverized. His left boot was dislodged, and his foot had no shape whatsoever. The leg looked like a sack full of marbles, and had no structure at all. His left shoulder was messed up, and he had a pretty good gash on his left forehead, with some bleeding from his head. He was probably wearing a skull cap helmet, which did fuck all to protect him. I never did find the helmet, as it was knocked off at impact.

I started talking to the guy, and did my best to treat him for shock. I removed my shirt, and covered him the best I could, which really wasn't enough. I started speaking with the guy to find out just how bad he was. He was coherent, but in massive pain. The really scary thing was that he was gurgling due to internal bleeding.

Another person, my wife, and myself worked with the guy for about 10 minutes before the cops showed up. The cops were a joke. I told the first cop that the guy was in shock, and needed a blanket to cover up with. The first cop didn't have a blanket, and apparently didn't know jack-shit about treating an accident victim. A second cop showed up, and whipped out a new, still in the package, silver space blanket. Thankfully, the fire department showed up and took over. We were told to leave, which we did.

Eventually, the guy was life-flighted to downtown Atlanta. As it stands today, he is in a drug enduced coma while they try to save his foot and leg. He has been stabilized and his life is no longer in jeopardy, but there is a good chance he will lose his foot and a portion of his leg.

This was a very sobering situation (literally and figuratively). The driver of the car said that the biker ran the light, and that he was the tail end of a larger pack. If that statement is true, none of his fellow riders returned to check on him, which is unspeakable.

All I know about the guy is that his name is J.R., and he lives in Kennesaw, GA. If any locals know of the guy, post up.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Sorry to hear that, hats off to you all for assisting as best you could.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Thank you for being one of the good guys and stopping.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Always hate to hear stories like this. My cousin lost a leg in a motorcycle accident a few years back. I hope this guy doesn't suffer the same fate, but it sounds as if he might.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Good work 655321.... hope this guy makes it through.

Unfortunatly, we've had 2 deaths in 2 days here on the west side of Columbus alone. Both sportbikes. Both in super high traffic areas. We think one lives down the street from my bestfriend.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Ugh. How horrible is that? Thank you for stopping! Hope the Guy makes it.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

to you doing what you could. I'm sure that guy is grateful for your help. Although he may lose his foot and/or leg, he maybe would have lost more had you not been there.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Thats terrible. Cops are a fucking joke.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I thought cops were trained for that kind of shit?

Glad to hear you helped out.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchopper87 View Post
I thought cops were trained for that kind of shit?

Glad to hear you helped out.
Real cops, not the rent-a-cop that he obviously encountered.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote