Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).
Default Acid Rock...

Narcs Claim Sound Is Dangerous 'Gateway Drug' For Kids
By Steve Elliott in Culture, News
Friday, Jul. 16 2010 @ 2:06PM

​In one of the latest examples of moronic Drug War hyperbole, the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics is warning parents about a dangerous new "drug" -- binaural sound.

Seems these Okie drug warriors are convinced that seemingly harmless MP3 downloads are just the latest way crazy teenagers are using to get high. They call listening to the files "i-dosing," and claim that evil "digital dealers" are selling kids the aural equivalent of crack cocaine, reports Jason Mick at DailyTech.

"Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places," warned Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics spokesman Mark Woodward.

Woodward claims the "digital drugs" are leading formerly innocent children down a primrose path of self destruction and harder drugs.

According to Woodward, who sounds crazier and crazier the longer you listen to him, children are buying a 40-page "instruction manual" that tells them how to locate -- and get high from -- the droning binaural tracks.

The Oklahoma Mustang Public School District is taking a proactive -- and absurd -- approach against this new supposed "drug menace."

The school district has already sent parents a warning letter, and has banned iPods in school to keep the kids from getting high in the hallways.

School officials at this point are even starting to cast suspicious glances at students' cell phones.

What The Hell?

Binaural sound, discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove, does have an impact on brain waves. Research has shown results to be generally positive, with side effects such as reduced anxiety and pain relief (hey, I guess that does sound sort of like marijuana).

Binaural beats happen when opposite ears receive two different sound waves, according to one researcher who spoke with an interviewer at NPR, reports Meg G. at Associated Content.

Normally, the differences in sounds between each ear help people get directional information about the source of the sound (and give rise to the stereo effect in recorded music).

But when you listen to binaural beats with stereo headphones, you can sense the difference between the two frequencies as another beat that sounds as if it's coming from inside your head, thus altering -- and entraining -- your brain waves.

"Entrainment" means that your brain waves actually start matching the wave activity they are sensing. This is how binaural beats "alter" brain waves, with the theory being these altered brain waves by definition alter your consciousness.

If you're thinking about mixing this shit with marijuana, I'm so there with you, man.

But Wait A Minute...

You know the routine. Wherever there's a buzz, there's a buzzkill.

Enter Helane Wahbeh, assistant professor at Oregon Health and Science University. She's done studies into the technology behind these so-called digital drugs, and she says those studies have not shown that sound can dramatically alter brain waves the way drugs can do.

"We did a small controlled study with four people, and we did not see any brain wave activity shifting to match the binaural beat that people were listening to," Wahbeh told NPR.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/07...rug_for_ki.php

JC
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I heard about this on the radio yesterday. They even played it for several muinutes...I don't know about high, but it did make me sick to my stomach, probably because it was horrific noise!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

weird, that is sorta awesome.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Tried it years ago, never got much out of it
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Oklahoma, lol
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Growing this kind of rock was the gateway drug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fraggle_rock.jpg (65.5 KB, 40 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Growing this kind of rock was the gateway drug
The doozers had the coke system down and those pesky addict fraggles kept ruining it.

Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

In further news, scientists at the Utah Lab of God have determined, after exhaustive studies performed on the animated corpse of Wayne/Jayne County, that Acid Rock dissolves male genitalia.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

It wasn't very large.

There was just enough room to cram the drums in the corner, over by the Dodge...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I heard about this on the radio yesterday. They even played it for several muinutes...I don't know about high, but it did make me sick to my stomach, probably because it was horrific noise!
See? That's how it starts.

One minute you're listening to sound waves having dirty monkey circus sex, and the next thing you know, you're upside down in a Scottish railway toilet.

JC