Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Man, we have had this discussion....

I know that it happens but I really can't wrap my mind around it. Every time someone loses a chain they,

A. ALWAYS claim that the chain and sprockets were perfectly maintained and that the chain was correctly adjusted.

B. ALWAYS claim that the chain was correctly installed using a rivet link and the proper tools.

C. ALWAYS claim that the chain wasn't showing ANY signs of wear, kinks nor was worn/stretched out.

I have never honestly had this happen nor have I personally seen this happen. I am FAR from being a chain maintenance fiend. Heck, I maybe, lube my chain every oil change (no bs) or when I want it to look good. I definitely don't adjust it much, maybe twice a season or when I change the rear tire. In fact, almost never other than tire changes and not always then.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Man, we have had this discussion....

I know that it happens but I really can't wrap my mind around it. Every time someone loses a chain they,

A. ALWAYS claim that the chain and sprockets were perfectly maintained and that the chain was correctly adjusted.

B. ALWAYS claim that the chain was correctly installed using a rivet link and the proper tools.

C. ALWAYS claim that the chain wasn't showing ANY signs of wear, kinks nor was worn/stretched out.

I have never honestly had this happen nor have I personally seen this happen. I am FAR from being a chain maintenance fiend. Heck, I maybe, lube my chain every oil change (no bs) or when I want it to look good. I definitely don't adjust it much, maybe twice a season or when I change the rear tire. In fact, almost never other than tire changes and not always then.
The o-rings seal the grease in your chain anyway. The only benefit I can see to lubing and cleaning it is to stop corrosion.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
The o-rings seal the grease in your chain anyway. The only benefit I can see to lubing and cleaning it is to stop corrosion.
Wait...omg...we AGREE on something! Shit, get your loved ones, this was the 7th sign of the apocalypse!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA
Talking

What is this chain maintenance you all seem to talk about regularly?

JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It's to keep the o-rings from drying out.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

I believe they're made of Nitrile. And I don't understand how they would dry out.

Just be careful what you use to clean it. Gasoline and carb cleaner make the o-rings swell and degrade.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Friction from rubbing the plates, heat cycles, weather, dirt, sun bathing and so on.

If you want to buy a new chain and never lube it to do a test then do it. Make a short vid everyday.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Friction from rubbing the plates, heat cycles, weather, dirt, sun bathing and so on.

If you want to buy a new chain and never lube it to do a test then do it. Make a short vid everyday.

I dunno about all you scientific experts and stuff, but I was laways taught that a chain needed to be lubed, I've never had an issue or short life with a chain that I've installed.

The only 2 chains that I've installed that needed changing both lasted over 20k so I was happy with that. The other chains, have had the bike replaced before the chain.

My method, spray the chain after riding in the rain or though lots of puddles, also spray when I remember to spray it, leave the chain just a little on the loose side, adjust it as needed usually around 3-4 thousand miles, clean it off with a rag once in a while.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Just to clarify. I'm not saying don't lube your chain. I'm just saying that most of the protection is already there.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

A LOT of offroad riders and dualsport riders don't lube their chain due to 1. like Tsmall said, the lube is already there and 2. the lube just make dirt and grime stick to the chain wearing it out faster.

I've had two chains on the DRZ in 21000 miles and I cleaned/lubed them once a week.

a fellow DRZ rider down here only rides off road but has about 10000 on his chain never lubed... just cleaned...

YMMV
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote