Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Frame Sliders, which brand?

Yes, in a continuance of threads concerning my big tune up day this weekend, I have posted yet another thread in hope of tapping the intellectual capacity of this sick sick group of people.

I would like to install frame sliders on my bike. I am thinking about putting the new fairing on this weekend and figured it would be a good time to install some frame sliders.

Based on my own logic it seems that cut frame sliders would severe a better purpose even if by a slim margin. So I don't mind cutting into a fairing to install the sliders. Most of the excuses I was reading on the gixxer.com forums were full of t3h poops. I am a new rider, but I am smart enough to know that I will end up laying it down at some point. Either by complete accident or because I was really pushing myself at a track day.

On the other place I recall a thread and several people were discussing the important of the actual material used on the slider. Advice please?

Which fairing will I be cutting into? Because the right side of my bike is already torn up and I would have an extra right side fairing to perfect the cutting action before taking it to my brand new fairing if needed.

Thanks in advance!

And yes, you can expect many more threads. I will noob this place up if no one else will.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Becca_007
Street Stunter

Moto: 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Delrin is the material you are looking for.

For brand I got lucky and came across a fellow board member (bike specific board) who machined mine for me. Far cheaper than having to go retail, and for bike they don't make many retail options anyway.
Becca_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca_007 View Post
Delrin is the material you are looking for.

For brand I got lucky and came across a fellow board member (bike specific board) who machined mine for me. Far cheaper than having to go retail, and for bike they don't make many retail options anyway.
True... but you want something with plastic slider... not metal... from what I've seen metal tends to grip and bend or dig in and causes more damage... the plastic sliders well slide better and then you can replace the "puck" part.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Look for vortex sliders. They have replacable delrin sliders. That way when you ditch it you can just buy a replacement puck and not the whole deal. The cut sliders, in most cases, are gonna be a better option. The problem with no cuts is the bracket often damages the frame in a crash...the complete opposite of what the 'frame slider' is supposed to do.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Sounds like Vortex is what I need to then. Off to find some.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
fpzx10
Rides a Crotch Scooter

Moto: 2007 GSXR 750

I just ordered these. Woodcraft. One of the advantages is that the puck attached by a screw on the side. So if you go down, you don't have to dig the delrin out of the hollow part of the slider to get to the bolt head (I know this from experience & I think Trip will agree)

BTW... Don't get the colored ones. They are aluminum and don't hold up like the black ones (plastic)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Woodcraft makes a good product.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I have these. My wife dropped the R6 in the driveway and they served their purpose. That's the only "testing" we've done and hope it is all that we do.

Crash kit....

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Shogun_Cra...7)_-_Black.htm
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV

Cutty had some on the sv. Not exactly sure what they are but I wish I would have had some on my 250. I was in the parking lot and slipped on some gravel lost my footing and then was under the bike. Only a scratch on my pinstriping but had I had those might not have seen any damage. Just to my leg that is....... Still have the scars cause the bike landed on me.
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by comonboys View Post
Cutty had some on the sv. Not exactly sure what they are but I wish I would have had some on my 250. I was in the parking lot and slipped on some gravel lost my footing and then was under the bike. Only a scratch on my pinstriping but had I had those might not have seen any damage. Just to my leg that is....... Still have the scars cause the bike landed on me.
Frame sliders aren't neccessarily gonna stop scratching the fairings. They are to save frame damage. Some are long enough to minimize fairing damage, however.

Quote: