Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #21
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Here's a little story about the delivery of my bike...

They were scheduled to deliver it at 3:30. I left work at 2:45 to get home for the delivery. I live about 10-15 minutes away from work. So, there I am, at home, washing my lunch dishes, just waiting around for the delivery. DING! I have an email on my phone. I check it, and it's from Steve at Hall's. I'll paraphrase...

Steve: bike shipper called, they want to schedule delivery but can't get a hold of you

Instant panic. The bike that I've waited so long for might not come today!

DING! I suddenly have two voicemails. My phone never rang. I check them, and it's the truck dispatcher, and the truck driver, trying to contact me. They can't find my house (it's new construction and doesn't show up on GPS systems with old-ish maps).

I try to call the shipper back. My call won't go through. I look at my phone and there's no signal. Normally, I have a full strength signal at my house. I'm getting email on the phone via my wifi connection. I have no land line. If my cell goes out, I can't make phone calls. Great. Queue up the AT&T/iPhone jokes.

I email Steve: my phone has no signal, can you call them for me?

Steve: sure, no problem.

So, Steve is playing the middle man, relaying messages between the shipper and I. I find out where the driver is (about 5 minutes away from my house) and tell them I'm on my way. I found the truck, and had him follow me to my house. YAY!

I've had the bike 24 hours, and already have about 320-350 miles on it. Last night, I rode it to bike night in Sioux City, IA (about 100 miles away). The trip back was late at night, and the route is fairly close to the Missouri River, so I was just coated in bug guts by the time I got home. I've cleaned my gear. The bike is still filthy. I'm going on a mountain bike ride with my sister here in a little bit, so the bike will have to wait. I'm also going to give it its first oil change today or tomorrow. When I break in bikes, I like to run them a little and then make the first oil change nice and early, to clean out any shavings that might be in there.

The oil screen cover is leaking a little oil, leaving about a quarter sized spot on the ground when the bike sits over night. It's probably just not tight enough. I'll address that when I change the oil here in the next day or so.

I also have some condensation inside the gauge cluster. I don't know if that's normal or not.

The bike also seems to die fairly easily, almost as if the idle isn't set high enough, even though the idle is set exactly where it should be (1650 RPM). It might just be because the engine is new and tight. If you're running at fairly high rpms and just pull the clutch, the dip in RPMs goes slightly below idle speed for a second, before coming back up. All of my bikes have done that, so it's normal. However, on this bike, sometimes it's low enough to kill the engine.

I'm still getting used to starting it and holding that "starting device" (that's what the manual calls it :rofl ). It's a little lever above the clutch lever. When you hold it in, the RPMs run slightly higher. My ZX-10R used to just do that automatically. What does that lever do, anyway?

Neutral is tricky to find, but I'm getting the hang of it.
sounds like a choke
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
sounds like a choke
The bike is fuel injected.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well fuck then... I dunno...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
jtemple
Geek

I asked the dealer. He'll tell me what it does. The only thing I can think of is it maybe adds more fuel to the system. It's cable actuated, and has NO resistance.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

so it's kind of like a choke... just for EFI...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #26
jtemple
Geek

Yeah, I just wish you didn't have to hold the damn thing in by hand.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

yeah that would be annoying... but shit... the choke on the DRZ is odd... even on days where it's 80 I still have to choke it to start... (though it only needs it for 5sec... but with out it'll die immediately and not start till you choke it) but I've started it in -6 weather (obviously with choke) no problem...

little fucker just likes it's choke in the AM... it's like it's morning coffee or some shit.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
R1up0n1
Yo

Moto: 2009 Yamaha V Star 950 Touring / 1995 Intruder

The bike sounds like fun!
R1up0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #29
jtemple
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
you'll love the hornet's visibility... but not the visor above like 45... but your neck will get used to it... but be careful when you pass big trucks going the other way... like construction zones where they're doing 60 at 5' from you... the wind will snap your head back something crazy... fuck'n hurts!

also... make sure all the visor screws are tight... trips came off mid ride! but he's a douchetard
I like the Hornet a lot! Here's my take on it.

1. Lots of wind noise compared to my RF-1000. I have gotten lazy about wearing my earplugs lately. I'll have to break them back out now.

2. The visor is a pain in the ass to change. I have a clear and a light smoke, and I'll probably just use the light smoke 24/7 instead of dealing with changing it out. This fall, when fogging becomes a problem I'll get a pinlock visor. Then, changing tints will be a piece of cake.

3. Very versatile lid!

4. The bill doesn't bother me. I had it up to 60mph today and could feel it tugging, but only slightly. If I tip it down a tad, the pull goes away.

5. Holy crap, VISIBILITY. The visor hole is HUGE and crystal clear!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I like the Hornet a lot! Here's my take on it.

1. Lots of wind noise compared to my RF-1000. I have gotten lazy about wearing my earplugs lately. I'll have to break them back out now.

2. The visor is a pain in the ass to change. I have a clear and a light smoke, and I'll probably just use the light smoke 24/7 instead of dealing with changing it out. This fall, when fogging becomes a problem I'll get a pinlock visor. Then, changing tints will be a piece of cake.

3. Very versatile lid!

4. The bill doesn't bother me. I had it up to 60mph today and could feel it tugging, but only slightly. If I tip it down a tad, the pull goes away.

5. Holy crap, VISIBILITY. The visor hole is HUGE and crystal clear!

this is the #1 reason I can't see going back to another helmet for me!

if they could do a modular in this style it'd be PERFECT for dual sporting... but I just don't think it'd be feasible... unless it was something like the Shark EVO where just the chin raises and goes up and over..

also the beak doesn't bug me anymore except when the occasional truck passing snaps my head back... but above 70 is where I really feel the tug...

I can almost judge my speed off it... if my helmet starts pulling I'm doing 60+ if I HAVE TO keep my head down I'm doing 70+