Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhaw View Post
damn just bought another Shoei, RF 1000 this time, anybody got one, how do they fit compared to RF 800, 900?
When I moved from RF800 to RF1000, I also changed from XL to L. I think the RF1000 feel a little more narrow, too.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #22
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

You guys are bastards......

I have..... a helmet.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
When I moved from RF800 to RF1000, I also changed from XL to L. I think the RF1000 feel a little more narrow, too.
I will have ot check that too. I just bought an rf1000 and a large fit me perfectly. I have an older Rf model and not sure if it was an xl or a L.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

just bought a new HJC for my oldest daughter(she's 10) but i told her i'd pick her up on the bike on the last day of school, so i let her pick out an affordable but decent helmet

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Exclamation Summer Jacket

Ok guys, i searched and found this thread but I don't seem to hear any recommendations for what kind of Jacket is the best for the summer. I am tired of sweating my @$$ off when I wear my leather. I like to have the protection of a jacket but I hate the sweltering heat that comes with wearing leather in 95°.

Please help

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #26
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Ok guys, i searched and found this thread but I don't seem to hear any recommendations for what kind of Jacket is the best for the summer. I am tired of sweating my @$$ off when I wear my leather. I like to have the protection of a jacket but I hate the sweltering heat that comes with wearing leather in 95°.

Please help
I have a tourmaster intake mesh jacket. You probably saw it at markos last year, thats what I wore out to the bike show. Is lightweight and has good ariflow and a good amt of armor.

Got it on a closeout on new enoguh a few years ago.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #27
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

I have a bunch because you never know when you might need it for others.

Also I'm starting to have a weird policy that I because I never buy USED gear(not tried once used, but 10000+mi used) I tend to not sell USED gear.

I wear my stuff out and once it is, it becomes decoration.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I use A*s Sniper Air-Flo Mesh jacket. Great for the just the summer. Most of the construction is mesh, so it lets in good air. Its not a good early spring/late fall jacket because there in no removable liner or zip mesh panels. The only panels that arent mesh have padding or CE armor behind it. Even then that material is light. And I bought the white one, so its much cooler in the sun than the black one.

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/pro...id=330288&cs=1
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

My JR Alter Ego has been indispensable the past few days of 90+ temps
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post

Please help
I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket, its not super great but I got it on closeout and its probably been ridden for 5,000 miles and still looks new. I haven't crash tested it but I have heard stories that range from it did its job to the jacket caused more damage than it saved.

here is a worst case scenario of some dude who crashed his and had it melt into his skin

But overall it really comes down to what level of protection you want and what compromise you are willing to deal with.

Leather will be the best, pref'd leather is a decent compromise because it flows air. I have a full 1 piece teknic race suit which is great, probably the best protection I have. I also own a Cortech leather jacket, no pants that fit with it, but its great for tooling around town. Both of them probably have between 7 and 10,000 miles on them and neither have let me down. the teknic suit was down at a pretty high speed, and other than a scratched ass and elbow I walked away from an almost triple digit trackday lowside with nothing but a broken collar bone, pretty smashed up helmet and tore up gloves. Not a hair of rash on me and I slid for a good hundred feet, didnt even break a stitch on the suit.

Textile has gotten me excited lately, last year I bought a 2 piece fieldsheer set, waterproof, super warm. I put 5,000 miles on it and have had it in weather from 20 degree freezing rain and snow up in the hills of CT to mid 90s today in the traffic of DC. I was decently sweaty today in the heat, but once I was able to move and flow some air I was fine. I was also just gifted a very well worn roadcrafter 1 piece. I haven't worn it on the bike yet, but I did run across my house and did some jumping jacks. The previous owner had a 50mph lowside on it in LA, wore through the first layer of the knee, busted a seam in the ass and the shoulder, but the roadcrafter is supposed to be a superior suit to the fieldsheer I have so we shall see about that. I ordered a patch kit and zipper repair kit from Aerostich for the knee, and broken zippers, and used some liquid stich to repair the ass and shoulder, waiting for the stuff to set now, and I threw some duct tape on the knee to keep it from fraying any more than it already is.

Really it comes down to what level of protection you are willing to ride in. For me if I'm going out and pushing myself I'll wear the 1 piece leather, if I'm going on a longer distance ride, I'll wear the 2 piece textile (or possibly the roadcrafter 1 piece in the future). If i'm going out for a liesurly cruise for an afternoon I'll wear either just the leather or textile jacket and jeans. And yes if i am going down the street or just to work for a 2 mile ride, I wont wear any gear, just my regular clothes.

I always wear a helmet and I always wear gloves, just cant ride without them, and I pretty much always wear boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
I have a bunch because you never know when you might need it for others.

Also I'm starting to have a weird policy that I because I never buy USED gear(not tried once used, but 10000+mi used) I tend to not sell USED gear.

I wear my stuff out and once it is, it becomes decoration.
I bought some really cheap gear early on, stuff that just fell apart on me, I started buying better stuff a few years back, and now most of my gear is built to last. the more expensive stuff though I get used. My leather 1 piece was lightly used and sold because the PO got fat and didnt fit in it anymore. The new roadcrafter was previously owned by a guy that is buying a new one instead of getting this one fixed. I'll eventually send it back to the factory for a refurb, have them patch professionally them, and replace the leg zippers for the newer 100% waterproof ones. I expect to spend $200 for that, and expect to have a top notch suit