Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #121
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Oh, I know exactly what it says. Doesn't mean I have to agree with any of it. There is nothing legal about firing a whole school, over contract disputes. In the end, the one who did the firing will pay far more dearly than the ones fired.

Like I said, I hope they all become millionaires.
Dude, not only was it legal, it was practically mandated.

Quote:
Rhode Island's education commissioner identified six schools, including Central Falls High, as the worst in the state. The troubled schools stood to gain $12.4 million -- including a one-time payment of $10.5 million from federal stimulus funds. The state decides how to allocate the funds.

The deadline to apply was February 22. Administrators scrambled. To qualify for the money under strict federal guidelines, the schools had four options:

• Close altogether

• Restart as a charter school or under a new management organization

• Undergo a "transformation" model in which the principal is replaced and all aspects of the school's performance are evaluated

• Take a more drastic "turnaround" approach, in which all staff are fired with the possibility that up to 50 percent can be rehired.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #122
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
That's fine, but how often would a rank-and-file union member stand up to his union leaders and recommend they lower their demands? Seems like he would be afraid of retaliation or at least social ostracization by his fellow union members.
Again, tough shit. If they want the benefits of union membership they also get the downsides too. They thought they were negotiating from a position of strength by being united. They were wrong.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #123
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Dude, not only was it legal, it was practically mandated.
Laws down there are fucked up. No way they'd get away with that shit up here.

Hell, our education minister started fucking with our schools here in NB, and he got so much backlash that he had to resign, and scrap all his ideas.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #124
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Well, here at least, you cant fire union members over contract disputes. Thats why we have arbitrators.
I think shmike covered it pretty effectively but this isn't a normal situation. When the government is the one writing the checks they tend to ignore their own rules too. I don't know if it changed or not but America's federal government didn't used to be subject to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) or ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations either. These teachers will be lucky to get another job. If they want to be millionaires they better start playing the lottery.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #125
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't know if it changed or not but America's federal government didn't used to be subject to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) or ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations either.
Uh, it must of been a long time ago, because I am a federal employee and we could nail our managers to the fucking wall and collect a big pay check from Uncle Sam if they tried to violate OSHA. Our safety requirements exceed OSHA on every level.

I personally know someone that has benefited from the ADA as well. They used it in their grievance case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #126
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Uh, it must of been a long time ago, because I am a federal employee and we could nail our managers to the fucking wall and collect a big pay check from Uncle Sam if they tried to violate OSHA. Our safety requirements exceed OSHA on every level.

I personally know someone that has benefited from the ADA as well. They used it in their grievance case.
OSHA was not directly applicable as the United States was not considered an employer. The act establishing OSHA did task the heads of federal agencies with creating a program consistent with the national standards of OSHA. It looks like Carter tried to put a bit more force behind it with Executive Orders issued in 1980.