RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default HOA vs 90y.o. medal of honor vet over flag

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Thursday , December 03, 2009

FC1
ADVERTISEMENT

A veteran of three wars who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor is now facing an unlikely enemy — his neighbors.

Col. Van T. Barfoot, 90, has raised the Stars and Stripes every day at sunrise and lowered them every day at sunset since he served in the U.S. Army. But on Tuesday he received a letter from the law firm that represents his homeowners' association, ordering him to remove the flagpole from his Richmond, Va. yard by 5 p.m. on Friday or face "legal action."

SLIDESHOW: Medal of Honor Winner Col. Van Barfoot

The homoeowners' association at Sussex Square community told Barfoot that the freestanding, 21-foot flagpole that he put up in September violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines.

Barfoot had sought permission to install the pole shortly after he moved into the community — a complex of townhouses where the grounds are community property — last June. The board denied his request in July.

But Barfoot and his family say there is no provision in Sussex Square's rules that forbids erecting flagpoles. And for Barfoot, that's a cause worth fighting for.

"There's never been a day in my life or a place I've lived in my life that you couldn't fly the American flag," Barfoot said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

In a statement released last night, the association sought to defend its position against a growing chorus of outrage.

"This is not about the American flag. This is about a flagpole," reads the statement from the association, which insists that Barfoot directly violated its board's July ruling.

"Col. Barfoot is free to display the American flag in conformity with the neighborhood rules and restrictions. We are hopeful that Col. Barfoot will comply."

The statement reminded the public that many American flags hang from homes in the Sussex Square community, and that the board members object only to Barfoot's freestanding flagpole.

But Barfoot says he has always flown the flag from a height: "Where I've been, fighting wars ... military installations, parades, everything else, the flag is vertical. And I've done it that way since I was in the Army," Barfoot told the paper.

Barfoot is one of the country's last living World War II veterans who received the Medal of Honor. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and earned a Purple Heart. In WWII, Barfoot showed his mettle in Carano, Italy, where he single-handedly destroyed a set of German machine gun nests, killed eight enemy soldiers, took 17 prisoners and stared down a tank before destroying it and killing its crew — all in a single day. Exhausted by his herculean efforts, he still managed to move two of his wounded men 1,700 yards to safety.

"Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers," reads the official citation for his Medal of Honor.

Barfoot's resolve is now once again being tested.

"I've flown the flag at my home as long as I can remember," said Barfoot, who lived in rural Amelia County before moving to suburban Richmond. "This is the first time in the last 36 years that I've been unable to put my flag up on the same pole, the same staff and take it down when it's time to come down.

"I don't have any qualms with [the board's] authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution," Barfoot said.

Neighbors largely have expressed their support, but he realizes that ultimately it's up to the nine-member association board whether to grant an exception to the rules.

"Emotional torture is what they've done to my father," said his daughter, Margaret Nicholls. "He has lost sleep, he worries about it constantly. He just doesn't understand. He thinks that if it's on his property they can't tell him what to do."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579147,00.html

GRRRRRRR
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

another reason I would NEVER buy a home in an area with a HOA.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Yup. And what sucks is that the guy has to go through this.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
One thing I like about HOAs is they are the perfect example of what happens when you give a dumbass power. They are like mini-politicians. Anyone who could run a HOA well, would never take the job (probably because they have a job).

I'm about to head to class so no time to read the whole thing but if he bought a house in there and signed a contract saying no flag poles, flags, or pink kittens then he should adhere to the rules.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

the HOA needs to leave this country, clearly they have no appreciation for the man's sacrifices for their rights. if you've got a problem with the US flag, you're gonna piss off a LOT of patriotic americans, and a LOT MORE veterans that fought for us. just common sense.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

He should get a 50 foot flag laid out on his lawn for a few weeks. See if they'll reconsider after that.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

HOA's should be outlawed.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I live in a condo with an HOA...they generally suck and are out to get money from homeowners. When I lived in MI, they told me I had to park my motorcycle off property unless I wanted to change the "bi-laws". When I asked how do I change ur "bi-laws", their answer was pay 5,000 bucks it can be changed. lol

Turned out the homo president was pulling money from the homeowners dues for other shit.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Manufactured outrage.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

He placed a flagpole on land he does not own. It is a condo. He signed a contract when he moved in. He has no right to the land.

Now if he put it on his house and they bitched, he would have my sympathies.

Condo/HOAs suck the dirty goats ass.