Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I was reading an article in the paper for my parents town, the school district has 18 administrators making over 150k/yr. They hired an interim superintendant at a cost of $825 a day, and the assistant superintendants pay was just increased by 1000 a week this year. The total school district operating budget is 77mil. The total number of kids in school is 5400.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I was reading an article in the paper for my parents town, the school district has 18 administrators making over 150k/yr. They hired an interim superintendant at a cost of $825 a day, and the assistant superintendants pay was just increased by 1000 a week this year. The total school district operating budget is 77mil. The total number of kids in school is 5400.
And I'll bet the administrators bitch about the budget they have to work with. This is why I think the school voucher idea is pretty good. They are spending $14k+ per student per year of taxpayer money. If parents aren't happy with their child's education they should get some of that back to spend on a school that does a better job.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
And I'll bet the administrators bitch about the budget they have to work with. This is why I think the school voucher idea is pretty good. They are spending $14k+ per student per year of taxpayer money. If parents aren't happy with their child's education they should get some of that back to spend on a school that does a better job.
Another great idea stopped by Unions and the Department of Education (probably the biggest disaster to ever hit America). They've come straight out and said the reason is because they think "competition" will hurt the schools. Until our DOE can figure out the basic concepts of the capitalist system that America was founded on, I don't believe we can trust them.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
And those who think teachers are overpaid: it goes well beyond the classroom, all the shit they have to do.
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I don't believe teachers are underpaid. Its kinda like how housewives tried to convince us that staying home with the kids is such a hard job....and we bought it. Men began to think, "Well, I better go work, cause I don't want the extremely hard job of staying home all day." Which is complete bullshit of course, housewiving is very, very, very easy.

Teaching is the same to me. First of all, they don't work a full year, so right off the bat you take a pay hit. Secondly, there are so many teaching aids that they don't even really do anything as far as drawing on their own knowledge to teach. At my son's school they use a website called "Raz-Kids". When I first went to his school and saw it I was like WHAT THE FUCK?!? lol.

I could understand if it was teaching kids how to use computers...but its not....its a website that does the teacher's job. Aside from that, their main job is to teach their kids to pass federally mandated tests, not to actually learn something about the world....so, how hard is it to teach from a workbook?

Now, I'm not saying I'd want to be a teacher....cause that job sucks. Have you ever seen all the kids inside a school? Fuckin' gross.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
teachers don't work a full year.
I hope you don't really believe this. It is Wrong. Teachers don't have to go into the building all year, yes, but that doesn't mean they don't keep doing their jobs all summer.

Between curriculum development, preparation for incoming special needs kids, meeting with the next grade to brief them on each kid coming into their classes, etc it's rare when my wife (who is an elementary school teacher) gets to take a break even in the summer and goes to bed after 1am every night.

Trust me, most teachers work a full year even though the school itself is closed over the summer.

I taught high school previously and I worked all year as well.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
I hope you don't really believe this. It is Wrong. Teachers don't have to go into the building all year, yes, but that doesn't mean they don't keep doing their jobs all summer.

Between curriculum development, preparation for incoming special needs kids, meeting with the next grade to brief them on each kid coming into their classes, etc it's rare when my wife (who is an elementary school teacher) gets to take a break even in the summer and goes to bed after 1am every night.

Trust me, most teachers work a full year even though the school itself is closed over the summer.

Maybe its easier in Tx. then. I have a good friend and an aunt who teach here in North Texas and they're always bragging about their summer off. Sure they stay a little later and go back a little earlier...but essentially they do have the entire summer off from school.

If you tell me that's not the case elsewhere I'd have no trouble believing it, as the schools here are so unbelievably fucked up I usually spend an hour everyday deprogramming my son when he gets home.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

I don't dispute the work your wife does or you did, but I have not seen similar effort from the teachers I know. I commend the effort you both put in while I still recognize it was voluntary and not a choice many teachers seem to make.

Regardless, I think both you and your wife would agree that $90/hour to try and fix a failing school is a ridiculous demand.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yup teachers around here are always bitching about not being paid for the summer when they arnt working, many of them get temp jobs during the summer
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I think up here they get either ei benefits, or the school boards put a % of pay aside and give it to them when they're off.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I think up here they get either ei benefits, or the school boards put a % of pay aside and give it to them when they're off.
Ya, their salary is divided in 52 weeks. Its in their contract.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote