Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

No doubt, but perhaps that would bring down the demand? Onthe flip side tho, it would make the black market stuff that much more in demand.

What I really dont understand is why the govts keep throwing all this cash at a problem that isnt solvable.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
But look at it from the standpoint that if its easier to get and they dont have to skulk around and hide, wheres the "cool" factor in that?

Even if they legalized it, there would still be a black market for it, just like prescription drugs.

Where in the law books does it state that alcohol is illegal? It doesnt. My post clearly states several times "illegal drugs". I was clear on that.

However I do think people who take it to extremes, like alcoholics are idiots.
I know you were talking about only illegal drugs.. I guess I'm just of the mentality that weed shouldn't even be considered a drug, therefore i put it on the same level as alcohol.

Your other points are true, you'd probably lose some ppl due to it not being a counter culture anymore.. but you'd lose a lot less kids just the fact that you would have to be 18 or 21 to purchase it.

Also another point is why would you buy weed from a dealer who would charge you a lot more when you can buy weed from any store in 20 pre rolled joints for roughly the same price as tobacco? Not saying that's exactly how its going to go, but something like that.

Presciption drugs are different seeing as you need to have something wrong with you to get them so the demand is far greater than the supply. Legalized weed would be readily available.

And I agree.. People do take it to extremes. Forgetting about all the other "drugs" weed is impossible to overdose on, and if you smoke too much, you won't black out or get violent with your family like you can with "legal" alcohol.
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It will never happen this way because there is too much money available for collection by the government. If there is a national change in drug policy it will be full circle. I'm guessing licenses will be required for growers/manufacturers and sellers plus hefty fed, state, and local taxes on the sale of the product itself.

What would be funny (and I think at least as likely as not) would be our various governments putting so many taxes and fees on drugs that there remains a viable black market for them simply based on price. Even in the cheap states taxes account for around 80% of the price of a pack of cigarettes. In more expensive areas taxes are over 90% of the price. At what rate do you think those same governments will tax a dime bag of weed? How about a gram of coke? I think prices will be insanely high.
Not sure on the price being really high... The only reason it's very high right now is because of how risky it is to provide it to people.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
But look at it from the standpoint that if its easier to get and they dont have to skulk around and hide, wheres the "cool" factor in that?

Even if they legalized it, there would still be a black market for it, just like prescription drugs.

Where in the law books does it state that alcohol is illegal? It doesnt. My post clearly states several times "illegal drugs". I was clear on that.

However I do think people who take it to extremes, like alcoholics are idiots.
I don't know about all drug users but the ones I know couldn't care less about any "cool" factor. They use them to get fucked up.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Ah, see we do understand each other.

Weed is a tough one. It's illegal, but from what I understand, its not that much different than tobacco. (I dont know, I've never touched a single illegal drug.)

I'm anti smoking, but as long as you keep it away from me I dont care what you do with it. (Except I still dont want to pay for some lung cancer ridden person who doesnt have health insurance.) Would weed cause cancer I wonder?

So, if we were to legalize weed, Im all for it as it would definitely bring some much needed revenue to this piss poor govt and since (from what I understand) its not that different than smoking marlboros, what would it hurt? Doesnt research show that alcohol has more effects on the body than weed in regards to functioning?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #26
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
Not sure on the price being really high... The only reason it's very high right now is because of how risky it is to provide it to people.
The government will have a monopoly on the only legal distribution channel. They will also say that the tax/fee money will be required to pay for all the rehabilitation, medical expenses, and oversight of the product that will be required. The government won't actually spend that money on those things, but those things will be used for justification. You think drugs are expensive now? Wait until the government gets involved.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
The government will have a monopoly on the only legal distribution channel. They will also say that the tax/fee money will be required to pay for all the rehabilitation, medical expenses, and oversight of the product that will be required. The government won't actually spend that money on those things, but those things will be used for justification. You think drugs are expensive now? Wait until the government gets involved.
I agree 100%, but would that be a bad thing?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Ah, see we do understand each other.

Weed is a tough one. It's illegal, but from what I understand, its not that much different than tobacco. (I dont know, I've never touched a single illegal drug.)

I'm anti smoking, but as long as you keep it away from me I dont care what you do with it. (Except I still dont want to pay for some lung cancer ridden person who doesnt have health insurance.) Would weed cause cancer I wonder?

So, if we were to legalize weed, Im all for it as it would definitely bring some much needed revenue to this piss poor govt and since (from what I understand) its not that different than smoking marlboros, what would it hurt? Doesnt research show that alcohol has more effects on the body than weed in regards to functioning?
Well the difference between weed and tobacco is weed is pure and tobacco has 3000+ chemicals added to it to make it smoother to pull. I don't really smoke cigarettes anymore and there are ways to "smoke" weed by vaporizing it that minimizes most of the harm..

Burning any plant matter, no matter what it is, could cause cancer. Vaporizing just cooks the THC and other cannabinoids and doesn't burn the plant.

And I agree, I think it would solve a lot of budgetary issues..
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Tobacco isn't that expensive (in most areas) and neither is alcohol.. Why would weed be so much different?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

Ironically enough...headline back in FL...

87 Year Old Woman Busted Selling Crack

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/arr...ack-woman.html