Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #41
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Somebody explain this bluetooth pairing thing for bike to bike. I understand basic pairing from phone to intercomm system... but what about bike to bike. How's the range as well?
The range is not that great, like 900 feet. They pair together and you can either do PTT or voice activated.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #42
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I tried frs in the past but there was way too much chatter... To be honest I mainly just want to listen to music and be able to hear my GPS and radar detector.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #43
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Same basic deal as the phone/device pairing - the headsets have a pair/discover mode that you put them in at the same & they link right up. The Scala G4 supports 3 bikes simultaneously (or 2 driver/pass pairs, I think) and the Sena supports 4 total w/ manual channel switching. How exactly you pair multiples I couldn't tell ya, but I think it's just a matter of doing the pairing cycle for each combination of units.

As far as range, the old Scala I have does about 1/8~1/4mi line-of-sight & a couple hundred yards in the curves (with an intermittent distortion which gets quite annoying). The G4 advertises 'up to one mile', but I've read the effective range is more like 1/2mi or so, and they have similar complaints as the old ones - not enough volume or signal quality.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...er-g4-powerset

The Sena advertises 900 meter (.56mi) range, but I've read that it's a SOLID km+ range with up to a mile line-of-sight, with much better signal/audio quality than any other unit. The construction/control seems superior (Sena is primarily an industrial device mfg & it appears more rugged/ergonomic than others). Though it doesn't have the built-in FM radio, it has A2DP bluetooth (higher-fidelity stereo) so paired w/ a decent MP3/radio with bluetooth (like the Samsung P3) it has MUCH better music capability - loudest/clearest on the market, supposedly.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/

Yeah, I've been researching/considering this setup a bit lately...
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #44
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I tried frs in the past but there was way too much chatter...
Yeah, I could easily see that. What I can see it being really cool for is a group spread-out a bit off-road - WITH suitable discipline & not just chattering endlessly. I mostly just want the music/GPS/phone capability too - but the comm feature can be VERY nice, especially when doing a long ride.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #45
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Pairing with the Sena works like this.

For phone/gps/other devices: You hold the phone button for 5 seconds and then use your device to find the Sena when the Sena starts flashing red/blue. Enter the code in your device and it's paired. It has auto prioritizing. Phone I believe is #1. Then GPS, then music, but I don't remember off the top of my head, I would have to get the instruction manual at home.

For Sena to Sena. You hold the first units jog dial button down til it starts flashing red. Then you hold the other Sena's jog button til it does the same. After they are both flashing, you press the jog button on one of the Senas and it will connect them. You access the others in order of pairing. You press once on the jog dial to access the first one you paired with, twice for the second, and so on.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Yeah, I could easily see that. What I can see it being really cool for is a group spread-out a bit off-road - WITH suitable discipline & not just chattering endlessly. I mostly just want the music/GPS/phone capability too - but the comm feature can be VERY nice, especially when doing a long ride.
Yea well I mean OUTSIDE chatter... we would hear kids with walkie talkies all the time! When we went to Cedar Point, I turned mine off once we got withing a 1/2 mile because of all the park chatter. "Billy where are you? Meet us at the Corkscrew!!!"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #47
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Me and Ebbs had some FRS radios when we came down to the rally last year. We started hearing some conversation and I decided to try and get them to want to do sexual relations. It was a funny convo, well a few miles down the road we run into construction and a flag man. Well they started talking on the radios, these the guys I was harassing. It was hilarious. After we passed through the construction, I really started going after them.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #48
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Yea well I mean OUTSIDE chatter...
Ahhh. I'm guessing that if using the GMRS channels that issue would be much less common, since most of the handhelds people use are just FRS.

And Cedar Point ROCKS! Hoping to do a road-trip up there sometime this fall (during the week, after school is in session! ).
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #49
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Me and Ebbs had some FRS radios when we came down to the rally last year. We started hearing some conversation and I decided to try and get them to want to do sexual relations. It was a funny convo, well a few miles down the road we run into construction and a flag man. Well they started talking on the radios, these the guys I was harassing. It was hilarious. After we passed through the construction, I really started going after them.
that shit was fucking classic! made me miss the frs radios this rally just for that purpose... though we never did see any construction...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #50
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The range is not that great, like 900 feet. They pair together and you can either do PTT or voice activated.
Why is it so limited? I mean chatterboxes a million years ago could do a few miles... or even 1 mile depending on model

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote